Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pumpkin starter plants were mostly destroyed by a falling tree this season. We discovered this week that we have one pumpkin that survived! Yeah! Can anyone tell me for this particular pumpkin, how do I know when it's ripe?

It's pretty big and one half is just turning reddish orange, the other half is yellow with green spots. It's been getting pretty darn chilly in Kentucky this week and I just don't want it to die from frost. Or do pumpkins survive a frost?

This is my first surviving plant so I appreciate any help on this. If it makes it, I'll be back wanting to know what I do after I cut it from the vine :haha:

- Jess

·
Adventuress--Definition 2
4,174 Posts
I grew them too this year; even have the same yellow and orange ones but the spots are on the later! I'm guessing you pick them "when the frost is on the pumpkin" or after the vine dies back. I'll be watching to see if I'm right.

katy

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Katy, someone at school here told me that we are right on schedule. Here in KY it just turned pretty cool, average temp dropped about 15 degrees this week. So my friend, the gardner, said another week to 10 days and it'll be ready.

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
If the part of the vine that goes directly to the pumpkin is dried up, go ahead and pick it. Otherwise wait till frost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts