rotweiler kills kid

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ratherbefishin, Jan 3, 2005.

1. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

another incident-a 3 yearold boy was killed up here by dogs , the people had taken in a couple of warehouse guard Rotweilers temporarily over christmas , and supposedly shut them up.
    The mother was obviously sleeping it off, and the boy was unnattended.He was quite used to the family rotweiler, and may have tried to play with the visiting dogs.Anyway, when the mother was woken up, the little boy was dead.The two dogs have been put down.I don't blame the dogs, although one wonders about having these breeds in homes.Clearly the responsability is the adult-not the dog.
    The boy had previously been taken into care, but the mother made a case for having him back.She had also been convicted of other criminal activety
    I know the social services is often criticized for removing children, but the fact is, there are some people who have demonstrated they are not able or willing to provide adequite care and protection for children.
    The social services removed her other children and she's making tearful media pleas to have her babies returned because they ''need their mother''.No doubt there will be all kinds of investigations and recommendations, but it's too late for that little chap-he's dead.

2. Critter183

Critter183 Well-Known Member

I have an 11 year old daughter and a ten pound dog. I figure it best to have a dog that I can whup in a fight if I have to, just for this reason.

While Rotties are know to be very good with family kids, they are still big, strong dogs and I wouldn't trust them any more than I would trust a bear around my kid. It only takes one time and you have a tragedy.

3. miclew

miclew Well-Known Member

We had two big rottweilers when my children were very small. The dogs were great with the kids and VERY protective over them. If it looked like I was getting mad at one of them the dogs would watch me like a hawk :)

It all depends on how they are raised and whether or not they know who is in charge.

michele

4. Critter183

Another reason why I like a dog I can whup. :D

5. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Dogs are what PEOPLE make them. Now granted there are some dogs that have a tendency to be more 'readily' aggressive than others(chow chows, terrier types)but for the most part, poor breeding and poor care and training make dogs into problems.

As a vet tech I have been in contact with A LOT of rotties, dobermans, and pit bulls and have never been bitten by one and none of them has ever postured aggressively either. Now on the other hand, I have been snapped at and bitten by chihuahuas, poodles, pomeranians, rat terriers, peks, shi-tzus, and other numerous 'small dogs'.

I think more often than not people get small dogs thinking they will be 'easy' and so they never attempt to assert themselves as alpha, nor do they care to as they think it's 'cute' when little foo foo growls when you try to touch him. Perhaps with *some* folks that own large dogs, they know that dog is going to be big so they'd better learn how to control it before it grows and therefore the alpha relationship gets established. Not ALWAYS true, because I know there are aggressive rotties and pits, but that doesn't make the tiny dogs any less dangerous. Heck, at one point a few years ago I read somewhere that the COLLIE was reportedly the most 'aggressive' dog in the US because of the number of bites reportedly initiated by them. But when you think about it these dogs are fiercely loyal(I grew up with one) and they could have just been protecting or what they thought was protecting their owners. Seems it would do a lot of folks a lot of good if they would do some serious research before going out and buying a dog. But then again, that's not gonna happen anytime soon, so what can ya do?

These dogs should have NEVER been around children PERIOD. Not even in the same vacinity. If you have dogs that are trained to guard and trained to do it aggressively then you better dang sure know what you're doing. Stupid people and guns don't mix and neither do stupid people and dogs.

It's a shame this had to happen to the little boy and to the rottie breed. Another black mark in the overall stereotype of the breed.

6. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

It's not the breed, it's the breeder and the way they were raised. My 2 GSD are imports , I would trust them with our lives. I will however not trust them with a strangers, they will protect . Hopefully they will be getting there Sch 1 this year or early next. Do I worry about bite training with my kids ? No . Do I worry about it with strangers ? No, if the dogs bite more than likely they deserved it. All said I am not a fan of many dogs bred in the US. If you want to see some beatiful Rotts look up German imports, they look like a different breed than what we are used to seeing.

7. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

We just had a case today about a six year old who climbed into a pasture of his neighbors and there three dogs killed him. Said the dogs had cornered the boy against a fence before, why wasnt any one with kid! If my neighbors had dangerous dogs and they cornered my son he wouldnt be allowed out with out me there.

8. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Soooo sad. A young child should always be watched. Even tho I trust mine fully they are not allowed out with other childeren unless an adult is there. And to be honest there are times that if I were the dog I would bite my kids.

Sometimes it all makes sense why animals eat there young.

My heart goes out to these families.

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

We have two rotties and they are protective when people come over they get to say hi n sniff and get a pet or two then they go outside. We have a fenced in area that we go in LOL its poop free!!! the kids can play out there. Our dogs have never been agressive to people here but they are VERY strong dogs and VERY protective. I would rather our guests stay in the fenced part of our compound just in case. I would just die if they ever did that. My dogs are sweeties but you never know......better safe than sorry

10. Mastiff

Mastiff Well-Known Member

How true...

I have known rots and pits to be great family dogs.

Size has zip to do with dog gentleness.

11. barbarake

barbarake Well-Known Member

I've owned rottweilers all my life and I would trust my life to my personal dogs. BUT (and this is a big 'but') I wouldn't trust a strange one. They *are* big dogs and they *can* hurt you - so I don't take chances with ones I don't know.

Unfortunately, many of the 'warehouse guard dogs' were deliberately brought up with very little human interaction and were encouraged to be agressive toward strangers. What was the mother thinking?!?!?! I've done rottweiler rescue and I would *NEVER* take a dog like this into my house if I had children.

Having said this - my mother rescued one of these 'guard dogs'. Beautiful animal but he had been badly abused. His 'owner' (total white trash) wouldn't go near him without a baseball bat in her hands. The chain around his neck had to be cut off by the vet - it had grown into his neck.

I was totally against my mother getting him - especially when I found out that he had bitten my step-father twice and my mother once before they even got him home. (He didn't 'attack', he was 'fear-biting'.)

Anyway, he turned into an absolute sweetheart - I kid you not. It took awhile - it was probably a year before I trusted him - but he was the nicest dog. But if you were a stranger and drove up to our house (on an isolated road), it wouldn't have been smart of you to get out of the car. :)

Anyway, I'm drifting off the subject. I'm sorry to hear that a child was killed - it's a tragedy no matter how you look at it. But it sounds like the mother bears a good part of the blame.

12. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Stupid people + guns = trouble.
    Stupid people + animals = trouble.

Heck! Stupid people + anything (including themselves!) = trouble!

I would give my opinion on the entire situation but it seems like most of you have that covered. :eek: This is one of the reasons my mother got out of breeding Kuvasz ... too many stupid people.

We had one come back to us, the mother had gone back to her job a couple months after getting the puppy, they never neutered him, basically gave him his own room with access to the backyard, and then at eighteen months called my mother up and told her they didn't want him anymore.

Well, you could pretty much say the situation would be equal to a testosterone-filled, always-allowed-to-get-his-own-way armed teenage male. He was fine until you pushed him beyond what he wanted to do, and after he put teeth to my mother's (coat-covered) arm more than once, we had to put him down.

This dog had ancestors with CGCs. Therapy dog qualification. My grandparents have a sister - who puts up with grandchildren crawling all over. We have a sister and a brother. Both were shown and socialized and his brother, Frankie, is the biggest goof in the world, who attends my soccer games and gets swarmed by little kiddies. We've never had a complaint about any of the other littermates, either.

It's the owner, not the dog. There's just too many stupid people out there.

Okay, now that I've had my daily rant. :haha:

13. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Two guard dogs and a small child!Geesh I'm not even going to comment on that stupidity. :rolleyes:

However I have had two Rottys and loved both of them.They where both great with every one,kids, and other dogs,because they where raised that way.Never had a smarter, calmer, more proud dog.

It doesn't help the Rottys reputation that they became so popular (just like
    Pits).A couple of years ago you couldn't pass by very many houses here that one of them didn't have a Rotty tied or penned some where.Id be willing to bet we had more of them than just about any other breed around here.No wonder they made it to the top of the list of bad dogs.Everyone had one.And most of the people didn't have any business even owning a dog period.Let alone one with a bite that big.Also If you've notice most of the Rotty attacks (killings or bad maulings) you here about, it is almost always more than one dog involved.(this is why they put more than one together to guard places)Doesn't matter if its two rottys or two poodles.Two dogs of any breed together can be bad news.You usually don't get mauled by one dog,just bitten. People get these dogs because they think there cool,not because they want a good dog.They also often don't consider the size they get,when they get them for a house dog.So out it goes.Tied or penned in isolation. :rolleyes: When the new wheres off,so do the trips to town,and the attention of Friends and family.An unsocialized dog of any type is a bite waiting to happen.And two of these can be really bad news. ;) I cant even recall one time Ive heard of where a loose Rotty went to someone elses house and bit someone.It always at there home. :rolleyes:
    But still in my opinion there not Labs they do have a higher protective nature when left to there own.And even though mine where great with all kids.I still wouldn't recommend them for some one else with kids.Not because I'm scared of them mauling and killing them,but just because a nip or bite is not going to be the same as from a beagle.There are better kids dogs out there.Like the ones you can whoop! :D

14. Critter183

LOL!

Funny thing though, last night, the little mongrel of mine was barking for about an hour at some noise or something outside. Being as isolated as I am, I figure it's coyote or something like that roaming close. We do get black bear and mountain lion around here too. Even though bear should be sleeping right now, with the mild winter we're having, I ain't placing any bets. I had one here in mid December, in my trash.

With a little dog like this, you can't let him out alone, he may get eaten.
    Being dark and isolated, I didn't want to go out myself. LOL!

A dog can see and hear and smell a lot better than me, but I couldn't bring myself to let the little poop go out ahead of me, and for a moment, I wished I had a 100 pounder to go scout around the house.

Instead, I grabbed my Mini 14 and took a look around. Twas nothing, or nothing I could see or hear or smell. But, he kept up with the barking for another half an hour.

15. Clara Bell

Clara Bell Well-Known Member

16. Clara Bell

I'm still stuggling with method in this madness, but it is true. I have two dogs up here. Both dogs bark in the night. If one barks, I know it is deer or bear wanting to use our yard as a path. If the other dog barks, I know it is a human.
    What better alarm system do I need?

17. insanity

http://www.sweeteherbefarm.com/
    I searched from what you gave.Found it.Just right click on you address and hit(copy) then (paste in forum.Thats the only way i no of to do.I think you must have been trying to show pic here.I don't no how to do that either. :confused:

18. Clara Bell

You understand the breeding of the canine, and you respect that if you are going to take responsibility letting that dog come into your home.
    Mom raised German sheperds as family guard dogs. My sister-in-law has the same type hand Mom had. I watched her feeding 6 Rotts and a little Manchester. I couldn't get over how they all set back and waited for her to finish mixing their bowls.
    When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Respect the breed.

19. ratherbefishin

ratherbefishin Well-Known Member

this was clearly not one incident- it was a pattern,a history of criminal activety,neglect of children, negligence in containing the dogs, no supervision of the child,and leaving the two dogs where they could get out, it all added up to a tragedy.Was it the dog's ''fault?''-no- anymore than it's the guns' ''fault'' for falling into wrong hands or being treated carelessly when someone gets hurt or killed.
    As far as I'm concerned, the mother should face criminal charges and her remaining kids put up for adoption.Tough?Yes, but this wasn't a one time incident-it was a demonstratable lack of due care and attention, and a little boy is dead

20. insanity

I lived in a house trailer when i had my first Rotty.(At night) I could tell how serious the treat was,by how bad the siding rattled when he smelled/heard/seen something. :D If he barked once he was alerting use of something he heard/smelled or thought he seen.If he barked twice in 3 mins time.He was starting to get really upset. :D If he started growling he had made eye contact.When he growled it was ferocious sounding.Rattled the siding bad. :D
    No one in there right mind would have gotten any closer as he sounding like such a bad dog.They would have been rite he would bite at night!But they would have never guessed that in day light they could just walk down pat his head and play fetch.Since he often even growled at me at night (until i called his name) i think he had trouble seeing at night.Which may have made him a little insecure and more protective.
    Ones thing for sure he wouldn't bite a biscuit in the day light.