Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Windy Island Acres
4,588 Posts
Unregistered said:
I have access to my towns leaf pile.They have been putting the leafs up for 2-3 years and so a lot of decay has happened.I'm wondering if in order to build islands {some 24" deep} for my flowers in the yard ,would I have to mix a heavyer soil from my yard with it or can I just use it like it is?
Are you planning to dig a hole for the flowers? If so, you are ok. If you can still identify the leaves as such, there will probably be too many air pockets to use just them as "soil". On the lazy side (don't ask how I knw :) ) you could top them off with bagged dirt to compress the mulch better.

·
Windy Island Acres
4,588 Posts
I'd also check the PH. I've been "thiefing" leaves for the last week from peoples curbside (I bet they wonder just what shift those recyclers work :haha: )
and you'd be amazed at the amount of pine and acorn in there (ok, I also found a plastic skeleton, a few dozen cigarette butts, and lots of candy wrappers)
I doubt any town takes the time to sort through the stuff before they compost it. Anyway, why don't you do as you said, but try only a couple of flowers. You ought to know within a few days if they take root ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.