Rotating Wormers

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Tango, Oct 25, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I purchased two 75% Boer kids this weekend. The owner let me know they' been wormed twice but she's had worm problems since the storms and their last fecal wasn't completeyly clean yet. She uses Cydectin. I was going to use it too but remembered that it might be better to use a different wormer. They do obviously need to be wormed. What can I go with? Thanks. The buckling is for meat in one month so I can't use fenbendazole or any other wormer that doesn't have a quick withdrawal time.

2. Stacy Adams

Stacy Adams Well-Known Member

?? If she or her vet are seeing eggs on the slide, it's usually normal.. what your looking for are worm BURDENS .. like, if there are so many eggs they don't all fit on the slide.. :eek: now that's a burden...
    Have you checked their eye lids to see if they're pink? their gums?
    What wormer do you have on hand?
    Me, I use the Ivomec 1% injectable for cattle and swine and give it orally..

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Not sure what she saw- only that she said they weren't clean. The buckling has a worm belly - at least if I saw that on a puppy that is what I would say. Their coats are not shiny like my own goats and the hair is coarser but they are otherwise fine. Their "berries" look normal to me but I have no microscope to look properly. I have no wormers on hand- I need to go into town to buy one. I need to get this buckling wormed quickly as he will be butchered in one month. I know I can find ivomec.

4. Stacy Adams

I don't think that goats get worm bellies like dog's do.. are you sure that what your seeing isn't a really nicely formed rumen?? and you know that coarse coats can be the result of a lack of minerals.. not to say that she's not been feeding them properly, but...
    save yourself a few bucks, take a few pellets to the vets and have a fecal run.. it really is so much cheaper than running out and buying wormer and worming your goats if they really don't need it.. (did you check the eyelids??)
    That way, you won't have to worry about any wormer residual at all ....
    :)

5. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thanks Stacy. I thought it was standard fare to worm newly transported goats. The doeling doesn't look as poorly as the buckling- not sure what to check with the eyelids but the coat looks like it is from a different species altogether. I think the owner was feeding well- she had a custom blend, at least. I went to town and purchased Ivomec 1% injectable and did everyone. Had meant to worm my small herd a couple of weeks ago and was asking here about wormers- so now they're all done and I can focus on the transition and other pending jobs I have without thinking about worms. The new kids are isolated from my herd for another month at which time we'll butcher the buckling and introduce the doeling. That should give me enough time to make sure they are otherwise healthy. I'll probably invest in a microscope soon after some other expenses are taken care of...

6. Stacy Adams

You know Marcia, your absolutely right.. my mind has gone on vaccation to some dark place since I had to put my dog to sleep... :waa:
    Glad they're all taken care of though!

I know that Vicki has recommended, as and inexpensive way to go, one of the microscopes for kids found at Toy's R' Us.. I have yet to go check it out, but it sounds like one way to go... JAI..

7. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

I would continue with the Cydectin. 1cc per 25 pounds given by mouth. The way the goats sound it's likely cocci, that caused the 'worm belly'. Once you see problems like you are describing from worms, you can also see old diarrhea, and also the pale gums Stacy is talking about. Most breeders moved to Cydectin after seeing resistance to Ivermectin, so you just might as well start there, and perhaps in several years when you start seeing resistance to Cydectin you can go back to Ivermectin.

Switching wormers: This premise is because horses get worms at different times of the year, bots, intestinal worms etc. Other than in kids when it 's a really good idea to use white wormers for tapes, and in the south with white tail deer in your area, using Ivermectin in the fall for menengial worm, you want to use a wormer until you start seeing it not working, then either up the dose or switch to another class of wormer.

A fecal sample on a goat is never clean. If you wormed, then fecaled in 7 to 10 days you should see a huge decrease, but in all the years....blah blah blah, I have never see a slide with zero eggs. Zero for cocci, because my kids stay on control. Vicki

8. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Oh Stacy, I'm so sorry :( I missed that. Since our hurricanes have left us with a million things to do and little time to do any of them in- I've been outside working when I'm not inside sleeping. I just catch a little time here and there to check in and I've not shared much here except for questions. I'm so sorry I didn't lknow about your loss but I'm more sorry that your dog has gone from you. I know how that hurts :( What happened?

9. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Okay- we'll have to moe to cydectin afterward cause I already gave them ivomec :( Thank you for the explanation Vicki- that helps and yes the doeling has evidence of old diarrhea- but they are good right now. Her whole The buckling might have cocci because all of the symptoms the owner told me about (including lethargy) lean that direction. I've got corrid in the fridge to treat him. Thanks :)

10. Stacy Adams

Thanks Marcia, but I didin't post about it.. couldn't stop crying to type... He just got old and started loosing weight and falling apart no matter how hard I tried to prevent it.. I've never been able to have any human children and he was my boy.. I know he ws met on the Bridge by his friend Moose, my sister's dog, who left us 6 years ago, so he didn't go alone and he was met by a friend... I do sorely miss him.
    Sorry, don't mean to bum the rest of the world out...

11. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

:( I sympathize Tracy. Ive lost beloved companions- two last year. I put my Great Dane to sleep last year and then my Rottie developed cancer. I was distraught. Chance led me to a breed I had never considered: the American Bulldog. Within a couple of month I was corresponding with a professional kennel and chance again had me show up when a litter had just been born. Cracker Jack is my soulmate bulldog. I can't imagine life without him. He's 10 months old now and we are velcroed :) It was your boy's time and he's now playing at the bridge- something his body wouldn't have allowed him anymore. I hope you find peace and a new best friend when you are ready.

12. Stacy Adams

I know, though it doesn't make it any easier..
    My sister's dog Moose was a Great Dane and he and Logan were great pals.. Logan is/was a Dalmation.. and I have two more Dali's here that I also love, though they are both girls.. I don't think I'll be ready for another puppy for quite some time...
    I've never had a dog before like Logan... I got him when he was just 5 weeks old.. and it was he who picked me out. He was named after Wolverine of the X-Men and practically raised at the University of Texas Pan American in Eninburg, Tx, where I was taking some Art classes, working towards a BS in Biology.. He was baby-sat by practically everyone in the art department when I had to run to another class. When he was a year old, he came in second place at an obediance trial one week before he was stolen. He was gone for 4 months and during that time, while I never stopped looking, I found Jesus, asked Him to be my savior, and I know He led me to where Logan was.. he had my SS # tattoed to the inside of his right thigh..
    Oh, I've had dogs all my life, but we moved around so much, that they were always gone to another home while we accumulated another pet at the new place.. so I've never had one get old on me before...
    He was bit on his upper lip by a copperhead when he was 10 and swelled up quite a bit. I got a couple of Benedryl down him but also took him to the vet, which in my opinion, was my biggest mistake.. the vet gave him some super-duty cortazone shot that he didn't really need, and caused him to suck up water like he would never get another chance to drink again.. and that was his downfall.. it aged him so quickly, it's like I could see it happening, and while that in itself was painful, it was worse watching him go.. He was 12.
    Yea, Logan was my soulmate dalidog and I don't see how there could ever be another one like him..
    Thans for letting me reminise... (sp??)

13. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Anytime Stacy. Logan was indeed a special boy, very deserving of your memories (but not your sadness). Dont close yourself to the possibility of another soulmate, even a couple of years down the road. And thank you for all of the help and advice you've given me since I've been back on this board.