Rotating canned foods, home canned & store cans

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Lamar, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Lamar

Lamar Well-Known Member

I admit I'm not the best at "searching" for previous threads.

I'm looking for ideas on rotating "canned" goods, both glass canned and metal cans.
    I've looked around the net and found all sorts of things for sale and even just bought this;
    Neu Home 12 Refrigerator Can Dispenser - Walmart.com

This one is "ok" but just by stacking the cans I can store almost 2x as much, but its hard to rotate stacked cans if you add to them every week and this one will not fit quart mason jars.
    I found one system made of plastic that you assemble and can be made to rotate tuna fish cans or the wide cans of fruit.

My store bought stuff is stored on shelves like the chrome wire stuff you see in a commercial kitchen and the mason jars are on a deep industrial metal shelf system.

How are you actually rotating your stored food?
    Do I need to just suck it up and rearrange my shelves after each grocery trip?
    Thanks.

2. soulsurvivor

soulsurvivor Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Lamar and good questions. I think you might get more responses if you post this in the Survival/Prep forum here:

Survival & Emergency Preparedness - Homesteading Today

There's a wealth of info on that forum just in the sticky notes at the top of the forum. There's an even greater wealth in the shared info of the members that post there. Everyone is very good at answering your questions and directing you to resources.

3. katheh

katheh Well-Known Member

I mostly have these:

Then she made...: "Soup"er storage idea

I tried some without wrapping in pretty paper but they were not as sturdy as those that were wrapped. Mine are not pretty, they are wrapped in grocery sacks, but they are functional, work well, last a long time, and were free :)

farmgal likes this.
  4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

illinoisguy made the shelves below for his pantry. Just add newly purchased canned goods on the "high" end of the shelves and select the oldest canned good for a meal on the "low end" of the shelf. Brilliant! I'm thinking on making something like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hercsmama and farmgal like this.
  5. frankva

frankva Well-Known Member Supporter

Is that plastic sheetrock corners?

6. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member

What I do is to keep the cans near the front, and then to re-stock I get on my knees so that I can put the new cans behind the older ones.

When I am gone at dinner time or I am sick or too busy to cook, I give the kids permission to fix what they want for dinner, including what is in the canned meat cupboard/stores cupboard. This prevents the food from getting old and also cuts down on the delivery pizza bill.

I was gone for several days during the weekend, and so the canned meat/preps cupboard has been pretty well rummaged through. I will have to rearrange for the first time in 6-8 months. Then I can make up a shopping list to re-stock it.

I keep my rice, noodles, and other dry goods elsewhere. And, I stock very few soups and vegetables as space is limited. I try to stock the higher-calorie foods, and vegetables (if it hits the fan) would be from the garden behind the house.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  7. newbi_gardener

newbi_gardener Member

Thank you! what a great (and cheap!) idea :nanner:

8. farmmom

farmmom Well-Known Member

grannygardner likes this.
  9. Seeker

Seeker Well-Known Member

Definitely have to show this to the spouse! She's the carpenter in the family.