Rotary cutter? Rotozip etc.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Anyone have a rotary cutter like a Rotozip,Dremel or B&D? I've been wanting one and would like others comments and opinions on what to buy.

2. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

I have a rotozip and a Dremel. I was a little disappointed in the rotozip - it doesn't handle plywood as well as I would like, but works great on things like drywall. I started with a cordless BandD and switched out to straight electric - this tool is great for anything! I got the kit at walmart with the 100 or so different attachments so any time I need something I have it handy. Great for cutting, sanding. I use it to put a hole in the eggs that I blow out for crafts or to cut off bolts - very flexible. I would not recommend the cordless version though because it just does not have the power. I used the cordless one on one project - to refinish a hand carved carousel horse and that mostly wore it out.

3. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Using a rotozip on plywood takes practice. 1/8" bits are easy to break if you do not hold it perfectly perpendicular to the sheet of wood. Some find the 1/4" bit easier to use it does not break, but cuts a wider swath.

4. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

The rotozip works great cutting on gourds...

5. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Deberosa,
    You lost me, you said you had a rotozip and a dremel and then you mention a B&D. Which one works the best?
    I definetly want one that works on plywood and solid wood up to 3/4". Does anyone have one that would do what I want?

6. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Well, I have all three, but they are good for different things. If you are looking to cut plywood, I think the rotozip is the only alternative. It did not work well for me though - but Explorer says you need a thicker blade and make sure it's perpendicular so I am going to give that a try.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I have a rotozip and the bits do make a difference. There are several different kinds. Even at using the right bit, I broke a few (overheated and snapped while I was cutting) when my sister and I were cutting out the interesting shapes for her laminate flooring. But I don't know how I would have done it otherwise. I go for a while and don't use it and then have to regain my steady hand with it. I have found moving slow and stopping/starting with thicker pieces works well.

Thanks for the tip about gourds. I am going to try that as I finally have some thoroughly dried.