Rot Spot :

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by dogo, Jun 5, 2006.

1. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

I have had this problem before, but its been some time. I have young green tomato's getting a rotten spot on the bottom of them . I believe there is a house hold remedy you spray on them to prevent this . I know there something at the co-op that you can get for this. But ! I was wondering have any of you got a cure ? Thanks

2. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

It's called "blossom end rot",and it's caused by a micronutrient defeciency,probably calcium.To save some of the crop,you'll need to add calcium in a way that will provide quick uptake.Liquid Ironite might be a good way to go.If not,Pick up some calcium nitrate,but be careful in the application,as it's pretty stout on the nitrogen,and will burn your plants if you apply too much.Blossom end rot is definitely the condition,but someone else might have a better idea on how to get those 'maters some calcium in a hurry.
    Hope this helps
    Nick

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

4. swamp man

Oops,forgot to add-
    In the future,if you amend the soil in advance of planting,like with egg shells or crushed oyster shells,this won't happen again.I try to keep the garden free of really hardcore chemicals,but I dont know a way to add calcium after the fact that will be taken up quickly enough to save an existing crop.I goofed up this spring,and forgot to amend with calcium in my "mater patch,and the first few green ones had blossom end rot.I picked off the bad ones,added 1 level teaspoon of calcium nitrate around the drip line of each plant,and all is well.As a micronute,it is absolutely necessary to the plant,but they really don't need much-a tiny amount is plenty.

5. swamp man

6. dogo

dogo Well-Known Member

Thanks to you all, especially Robin. great site . dan

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I've also read that sporadic watering can exacerbate the situation. I've not had a problem with BER since I began seriously mulching the garden.

Pony!