Ross a Question

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by APPway, Jan 14, 2007.

1. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Ross
    Do you know any place to order Nuflor here in canada. Canèt have it shiped from the states so need a place here.
    The vet here charges 40 bucks for 5 cc plus 5 bucks to draw it in a needle
    Or if anyone else knows
    Thanks for any help

APPway

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Vet only so far as I can tell. Unless you have an established vet client relationship and are relatively active in using the vet it's tough to get things like Nuflor or dexamethasone by the bottle. It is pricey stuff even by the bottle. I've been able to avoid it using Trivetrin or Borgol (a sulfa) Oxytetracycline and PenG which are all over the counter here in ONT.

3. zameluzza

zameluzza :)

Sorry to bud in ;)
    Ross is right this stuff is pricey.
    I had a goat that was sick and everyone on the board sugested nuflor, so I told my husband that I need Nuflor,
    we are a dairy farm and have the vet in often, so it was no problem getting Nuflor, Dexametasone or almost anything we need.
    plus my husband had to take a course on medication, don't remember what it was called but he had to take it to be able to optain meds.
    My husband almost fell on his head the price for 250ml was around $200.00
    but 45$ for 5cc is way to much.
    Do you know any farmers where you are that uses Nuflor? then you could split a bottle. I'm not sure if they have 100ml bottles but this is an idea you could look in to.
    hope you find some.

4. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Butting in too...

That sounds very high, last summer I got a 100ml. bottle for $53.95, from a vet supply company here in Wisconsin. My vet just calls in the RX and I can pick it up. It is a good drug, have had great success with the outcome of treatment with Nuflor when it's been necessary.

5. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Pretty much vet only for Nuflor like Ross says, but for a lot of other things you can get them pretty reasonably from www.farmersfarmacy.com, it's a division of Grand Valley Fortifiers.

6. APPway

APPway Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks everyone for the replys and the link.
    Its a shame its double the price for us to get it here as I was looking at the prices in the states and at a place down there (valley vet) its pretty reasonable.
    again much thanks
    APPway

7. Ross

Hey Zamma so your husband took the livestocks medicine course too? Wasn't that special, you'll need this to buy meds.. and then you don't. I participated in one of the pilot project to establish the course and what resulted was a very dumbed down version that everyone could pass. What on earth the point of that was is beyond me.

8. zameluzza

zameluzza :)

Ross,
    I really don't know what the point was either, I just asked my husband about it, and he told me that it was mostly about the safety, storage and contamination of the milk, and to read the labels *LOL* before you use the meds.
    my husband is the only one on the farm that treats the animals.

he also said that the course was easy and the answers where right in fron of you!.

He did learn some things, that he would not have known without the course. so it was a good thing! If I remember correctly the course was mandatory! it was so long ago *LOL* 2002 or 2003 can't remember right.

9. Ross

Well it was supposed to manditory to buy meds but its been shelved for some reason. Haven't seen any new courses offered in quite some time.

10. DaleK

DaleK Well-Known Member

Ross, between the time the courses came out and the time the gov't was supposed to make it mandatory, the dairy, pork and poultry industries all made it mandatory of their own accord, DFO as a condition of our grade A license and the others through their mandatory quality control programs. It's in the beef quality control program but that's not mandatory. From what I understand the gov't decided if those livestock industries were going to make it mandatory on their own and police it there was no need for the province to do the same (they were going to do it the same as Grower Pesticide). At that time they were thinking the beef and sheep industries were going to go with mandatory quality control as well which never happened due to pressure on those organizations from producers and that's left a hole in the system.
    When I did my course I was talking to a couple of the instructors who told me that the dairy, pork and poultry courses were all running less than 5% failure rates, which makes sense since those producers have all faced more testing over the years and have more exposure to medicines. The sheep course was running a 30% failure rate and the beef course was really pathetic, 55% failure. Don't know how 55% of beef producers could fail that course but my vets weren't at all surprised, said they lose track of the number of times they go to some small cow-calf place and the guy has already treated the animal with an injection from a bottle that lost it's label 5 years ago and he can't remember what was in it in the first place.
    I don't know how the holes in the system haven't been caught yet but I think they will be fairly soon.