Roses???

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by james dilley, Oct 22, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Correct me if I Am wrong. But can you start A new rose bush like you would A berry bramble plant. By laying it on the moist ground weighted down?? Or can you air layer one useing Peat moss and Saran wrap?? I have heard that both work. My tenet has A old boy he does yard work for wanting him to propegate 2 different types for him. And I want A few of the Hips to get the seed to try and start some. Any thoughts on this?? Thanks..

2. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

James, Roses can be propagated by layering, some species more easily than others. The most common method of propagation for the home gardener is from cuttings. The article below is about propagating roses. The link in the last paragraph deals specifically with layering.

http://www.berkeleyhort.com/gardensuggestions/gs_ma03_roseprop.html

3. RoseGarden

RoseGarden Well-Known Member

I didn't read the link, but I agree, cuttings are the easiest way to go, and most roses root reasonably well (although there are a few cranky ones that are difficult for anyone to root). Late winter in Texas is the time to do it, before the buds start to swell. I've rooted tons of them over the years, it's pretty easy.