Roses and Citrus Losing Thorns and Leaves

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Tango, May 21, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

The rose bushes in the front and my young citrus trees about 100 feet away have been losing thorns and leaves for the past year. I use insecticidal soap and appropriate fertilizer (one for citrus specifically and one for roses specifically). I also use ag lime to neutralize ph. I cut back the bushes/trees and they came in fine but now we are back to losing thorns and leaves again. Does anyone know what I might be dealing with? I'm in south central Florida in zone 9b. Thanks.

2. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

What do you mean by losing thorns? Are leaves dropping off or being eaten? If dropping off what color are they when dropped?

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

It may be that some new growth has no thorns. All I know is that they had it at one time and now they don't have it. After seriously cutting back and spraying at the same time, new growth is okay but the the problem of leaf loss and thorn loss reoccurs. What I have are long thin green branches devoid of anything- bald on both my citrus trees (two of them) and my rose bushes (three of them). I believe the leaves get black spots on them, they do not die before they fall.

4. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

first off remember sour orange stock has the thorns so you may have a graft that is growing out if there are no new thorns, second you might have the red scale mites the will do that to the leaves ,does the citrus have blotches or dropped fruit that would be a indicator of your problem.have you looked at the ortho book at K-mart to see what the problem might be??

5. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a disease in roses called Black Spot. Spray with a good systemic rose spray like Rose Defense and you will cure the problem in the new leaves. On citrus the leaves drop in response to stress - too much water or too little can kill them. Almost killed a lime and a Meyer Lemon that got shunted off to the side in my greenhouse and not properly watered this past winter. Dropped all their leaves, but have since come back and have flowered.