Rosemary question

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Ann Mary, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I love to grow rosemary but in my zone 5 I have to bring them into the house for the winters. :) I would like to know how others treat it while in the house and get it to grow large. I've heard that if you pinch it off in the wrong spot-the top leader I think- that it will never get any taller than that...???? :shrug: Any helpful hints? Right now it has been so cool that the window sills are very cool and at least 3 plants have their pretty blue flowers out for me to enjoy! :baby04:

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

You can make them into bonsai. I've heard they are relly great like that.

3. Michael83705

Michael83705 Well-Known Member

I bought Rosemary plants from greenhouses and they all died or needed overwintered. Then I found a huge Rosemary tree here locally that has been surviving for some time, so I did what I do with all the local plants I find that are way acclimated- I cloned it :)

If you are close to Boise I could get you a start- It's my first winter with it so it's not guaranteed, but we have been below 5 degrees so far and the Mother plant is still fine once more so far this year.

4. sweetbabyjane

sweetbabyjane Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Ann Mary,
    My rosemary bush is too big to bring inside, so I "decorate" it with Christmas lights and leave them on when the weather is cold. The lights keep the plant warm enough to get through the winter. Also do this with my small lemon and lime trees. We are zone 8, I think, South Georgia. Not so cold temperature wise, but the humidity makes it feel veryyyyy cold.

SBJ

5. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

Doesn't the smell of rosemary just make things "ok"! Thanks for the offer Michael, but I'm about 3 hours north of you. I had one of those little "rosemary trees" once and I didn't know they didn't like cold temps so I left it out...we had a mild winter and it lived. The next winter it was down around zero...I had mulched it but...it didn't live. :(