rose of sharon

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by marvella, Jul 2, 2006.

1. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

my son bought a house that has a huge rose of sharon by the front gate, that makes it hard to get in and out of the gate.

he wants to keep it, but would like to move it.

can it be dug up and moved? any certain time of year? i'd love to have part of it, if it is possible.

anyone familiar with how to do this??

tia!!! y'all.

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Best time of year is the winter. Basically the plant needs to be dormant and care needs to be taken not to damage the roots, or root ball. After it is moved I'd cut it back one third.

3. marvella

yep, that is one of the concerns. the root ball is huge, probably 3 or 4 feet across and no telling how deep. is this one of those cases of just do the best you can?

4. crystalniche

crystalniche Well-Known Member

We have a hedgerow of them here. My FIL cuts back the portion next to the road to about 3' tall. It always regrows within a few seasons to be cut back again. I'd think that if you cut it back some now then transplanted it in the Winter it would be ok. They do attract bees something awful during their bloom time tho. Keep that in mind when you are planting it at your place. They have 100's of bees all around them when they are blooming. I don't like it for that reason but they are very pretty.

5. tweety

tweety Tweety

They also self seed a LOT. You probably can find little R of S plants lurking all over the place and might have better luck digging some of those up.

6. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

On a big tree like that, you really need to root prune at least a few months before digging it up and then prune the tree itself back at the same time. This gives the plant a bit of time to over come the shock before transplanting. Water it thoughroly twice a week till it starts doing well.
    We have moved some large oaks with a front end loader and a bull dozer and if you water, them the survival rate is very good.

7. marvella

thanks all!!

vicker- what is root prune? should we dig into the root ball and cut back some of the roots? it is in full bloom. is this a good time to do this?

also i am wondering if, when we do get it out of the ground :help:, we can divide the root ball, and replant part of it at my house??

8. plowhand

plowhand Well-Known Member

Rose of Sharon plants can be rooted just like roses. That is the way I kept ours when we moved. I just took cuttings, and rooted them. I have known my Pa to pull them up with a tractor, move them to where they'd be out the way, set them,and keep them watered well. Seen 10' tall specimens live right through it.

9. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i dug one last year that out grew its area. i actually dug about twenty. there was on big one, 3 mediums and a host of sprouts. they all survived.

10. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

This is an excellent idea with anything to transplant. It forces the plant to develop new fibrous roots that help it to survive transplanting.