Rose Gardening

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by diane, Oct 22, 2004.

1. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I just clicked on one of those google links regarding roses. Anyone done business with Heirloom Roses? They sure look like they have a nice selection. I was really unhappy with the roses I ordered last year and want to order more but need to find another company. Tell me who you have used and how you liked what you got please.

2. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

I have ordered from Pickering Nurseries (they have a website) and from the Fedco tree catalog. Fedco doesn't have a big variety, but everything is hardy and easy to care for. The Pickering roses have done nicely, also. I don't grow any variety that is fussy. Mostly rugosas and heirlooms.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

Thanks Vicki. The three English roses I ordered from Miller's have been wonderful. It is the first time I have ever grown them, English roses, and I am impressed with their flowers and fragrence. I have grown tea roses many years ago and really enjoyed them, but they are fussy and need a lot of care. I want to grow a few again now that I have more time, but the ones I ordered from Dutch Gardens were terrible and 1/2 died or were dead when I got them. I used Jackson and Perkins back when, but they sure seem pricey now!!

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Have you checked out any of the rose sellers through Garden Watchdog, diane? I've been spending half my spare time there --- first, getting my seeds for next year's garden, and now, investigating both nut trees and mushroom sellers.

By next spring, I'm sure I'll be wanting to buy a rose or two, and I'd love to know of a good seller. I have two roses right now and want to get a couple more.

5. diane

diane Well-Known Member

I have never heard of Garden Watchdog. I guess I will have to search it out. With less animals and more time I have had a wonderful summer indulging in my favorite form of "play" which is flower gardening.

6. Ed in S. AL

Ed in S. AL Well-Known Member

One rose every one should have growing is a Sutter's Gold. It is by far the best smelling rose their has ever been.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Diane, there's a sticky at the top of this forum that says Seed Catalog WATCHDOG.

I never even noticed it til a couple months ago. :haha: However, it is absolutely one of the best gardening resources I've found, especially for finding good seeds, garden products, etc. These days, because I'm working on next year's garden, I'm there every day! Watchdog has now helped me find the place I'll be buying the stuff to start growing reishi mushrooms --- the last couple of weeks, I found reliable heirloom seed people through them --- etc. They're great and I'm so glad tallpines posted that link! :)

8. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know where you are, but here in a VERY dry part of zone 4, shrubs and all their old and modern hybrids do best. I can't offer you a mailorder source, since we get ours bareroot from a grower, pot them up, and sell them. So I'd suggest you check around next spring when it's planting time and see what's available locally; shrubs can be hard to find, but the more demand, the more the local outfits will be willing to carry them.