Rooting up the garden

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Charleen, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

We have 4 separate vegetable gardens that total about 2 acres. We let 1 garden rest every year. We're struggling with wild morning glory vine, really struggling :flame: Think the pigs could take care of this if we move their pen out to our fallow garden?

2. Firefly

Firefly Well-Known Member

Yep! They should take care of everything. Although mine are ignoring the stumps I want cleared. :grump:

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Charleen, so glad I see you here since I keep forgetting to pm you. The Kombucha arrived just fine and thank you for the detailed instructions! :baby04:

Like Firefly said, pigs will do it. Morning Glories aren't toxic are they? Still drinking my coffee this morning so I'm hazy. Tomatoes are bad and I thought Morning Glories might be bad in some way to something :confused:

4. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

You could be REALLY hazy in the morning if you ate the seeds. They contain lysergic acid which is the LS in LSD (lysergic acid diethlimide). And yes they can cause hallucinations as well as diarhrea. I expect that turning the porkers in there probably wouldn't hurt much, but you might give the vet or extension agent a call....

5. Lannie

Lannie Well-Known Member

6. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Gosh, I never thought about the pigs getting high :1pig:

Yes, it's bindweed, wild morning glory, creeping jenny, all common names for Convolvulus arvensis. I realize that any itty bitty piece of root still in the ground will sprout and that's why we are losing ground here (pun intended). We've been yanking it out for years.

Thanks for all your replies.