rooting tomato suckers update

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by bee, Oct 9, 2006.

1. bee

bee WV , hilltop dweller Supporter

we had a thread about a month ago on rooting tomato suckers as a method to get a jump on next years plants/varieties by over wintering the rooted suckers and then taking starts off them for spring planting..well the question I advanced at that time was about the determinate as opposed to the indeterminate reaction growth wise to this method. I have gotten very busy around here and to avoid a threatened early frost I took a bunch of suckers indoors nearly a month ago and got as far as sticking them in glasses of water in a north facing window. The results are interesting to say the least. All the indeterminate varieties are rooting without rotting and the water is clear, the submerged stems are green(no slime) and the roots very long(begining to branch) and white. In the determinate variety,started at the same time,root growth is just starting and it was apparent that they may rot before root. On the submerged stem portions there are dark brown sunken areas and the water is beginning to cloud..all samples were treated the same(no submerged leaves,same type of glass,same water source) Noteing this slowness to root I advise anyone rooting in moist media as opposed to water to give more time in high humidity for root formation.(I gave my sopping wet potting mix in a twist tied plastic bag no open/no water for 3 weeks method.) I have excellent suckers in the garden now(no frost but expected this week); I am going to try the "baggie" method and see if I get determinate root formation earlier. How about an update from the rest of you that said you were going to try to overwinter your suckers...?????

2. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Well, I have some suckers I'm rooting right now, but don't know if they're going to get terribly leggy over the long winter. Still and all, it's something to try.

Thing is, I grew all indeterminates this year. Oh, wait, I did grow one semi-determinant, and wound up with a bull, so THAT one went the way of the compost heaps!

I'll keep pinching the plants, see what happens. Maybe I'll have bonsai tomatoes!

Pony!

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

I just put the suckers in dirt and they have rooted well. Some big boys, some sweet 100 cherries, and some of the "compari" type that you buy at costco! They were volunteers out of my pigs dung and grew well.

If they start to get too huge, can't you take a sucker off those and replant?

kids

4. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

:doh: Of course!

Great idea! THANKS!

Pony!

5. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

I planted my suckers about the same time the thread was posted. They now have the first set of tomatoes on them. Not expecting frost anytime soon but they are growing. Mine are big boy tomatoes by Burpee and brandywine. Will let them grow taller and cover them if we get a chance for frost. I'll probably take some cuttings mid-december. Interesting observations.