rooting grape vines?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by 5TR-Apiary, Jan 31, 2004.

1. 5TR-Apiary

5TR-Apiary Active Member

I know this is on the forum somewhere but for the life of me I can't find it: I need the instructions for rooting my vines. I pruned today and I made cuts about 12 inches long 'flat' on the bottom end and very 'angled' at the top. I placed them in a zip-lock bag and placed them in the frig. But that's all I can remember. I promise I'll copy it this time and put it in my 'orchard' book. Thanks again. Debbie

2. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

keep em in the fridge for a couple months or so, until callus forms on the (bottom) cut areas. or store em in leaf mold, light soil or whatever in the shade behind the north side of ur house or barn.

when the weather warms up some, set em in a nursery row. put 'em fairly deep into the soil, with just the top pair of buds, or maybe the top two pairs, above the ground. if they callused real good, and u keep em moist, most should root and grow. u could increase ur chances by dipping the bottom end in rooting hormone @ the time of planting.

u should be able to set in their final location the following year.

that's how i'd go about it.

3. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

5TR Apiary:

If I were you I'd get those cuttings out of the fridge now. Bundle them and label them so you know the varieties, then just bury them upside down in the shade somewhere where the ground will be damp but not soggy. Ideally you do this as soon as the leaves fall--this is a bit late for taking grape cuttings.

Mark the spot well and next spring after the last freeze dig them up (do this before your grapevines begin to bud out) and plant them where you want them to grow. I plant them deep, leaving only the top set of buds above ground. If you only cut 12 inch cuttings you probably have only two or three nodes at best, so put two down, one up.
    Ox

4. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Do try this...we planted out 50 cuttings from our Concord grape vines and got 45 plants!! Was great fun to give them to friends after we'd used what we needed to start another arbor. And the price sure beat the catalogs!!! DEE

5. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

Debbie, a free rooting hormone for any cutting you make is sap from willow trees. Growing a willow over your compost heap will improve your cuttings' chances for sprouting roots. Do Keep The Willow Tree AWAY From Septic Systems And Sewer Lines!!!!! Judi