Rooted Grape Cuttings!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by JAS, May 28, 2006.

1. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

I did it, my cuttings have roots! That is the first time I tried rooting something. Okay, now what do I do? Can I just plant directly? Any tips are appreciated! Thanks.

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't know. I'm trying to root grapes myself. I've got a cultivated concord variety, and a wild concord.

3. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

That is one question I have; will the varieties that I cut grow true to the parent plant or do they use a grafted root for some of them? I have Frontenac, Valient, King of the North, and a few other "wine" type plants for zone 4. If they will not grow true to the parent plant, will I still get grapes off of them? Thanks.

4. skruzich

skruzich Well-Known Member

IF you cut the graft, and root it, it is a clone (exact copy) of that graft. I don't know if it will bear grapes or not. It should.
    You also might have patent issues if you try to grow cuttings off of cultivar grafts.

5. Heritage

Heritage Well-Known Member

as long as you cut the cuttings above any graft, it will be exactly like the cultivar you are cloning. It will bear identical grapes and have identical growth habits. If you cut your cutting below any graft all bets are off. The rooted cuttings will bear grapes just like the mother plant. It will be in all respects identical to the plant you took the cuttings from except YOU rooted them apart from the mother plant. Good luck and good job. I got grape and blueberry cuttings rooting now and I'm looking forward to seeing them grow!

6. skruzich

Are you using a misting bed?

7. Heritage

Heritage Well-Known Member

misting bed? That's a little too high tech for me... :) I made a wooden frame, filled with good potting soil, buried a terra cotta pot (8") in the middle, put a cork in the bottom of the pot, filled with water and stuck the cuttings around the pot. I just keep the pot filled with water and they take as much water as they need. Misting bed? hehehehehe

8. skruzich

Hey the misting is just as much about cooling as it is keeping humidity up so the cuttings will root ;D

9. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

All I did was put all the cuttings into a large container with moist potting soil and I put a plastic bag over the tops. I was going to try honey for a rooting agent but forgot. Pretty low tech here, but hey, it worked!

10. Dahc

Dahc Don't Tase me, bro!?!

Would muscadines be done this way also?

I have a question. I know how long to make my cuttings and I know to leave a leaf or two on but where on the node would I cut the branch? Through the middle? Underneath of it?