Root stocks

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by james dilley, Oct 26, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Has anyone ever raised root stock for Grafting??? if so how hard is it to do.How many trees did you graft?? What types.

2. georgiarebel

georgiarebel Well-Known Member

It would be great if some of the more experienced gardeners on here could give us a "grafting 101" class with pictures and everything :shrug: :help:

3. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I have it is not to hard but it takes a knack.

4. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

I usually buy rootstock as I like to use dwarfing rootstock for quicker fruit production, and producing my own dwarfing rootstock adds a few more years to the process. But I do grow some seedling apricots and apples for grafting. Just start the seed, and in a year or 2 the little seedling trees will be big enough to graft the scion of your choice to them.

5. Zebraman

Zebraman Well-Known Member

Hey Guys;http://www.raintreenursery.com has a lot of information in their catalog on grafting.they also carry a lot of rootstocks and have grafting classes but they are in Washington state.Catalog is Free.-

6. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Found A nursery in Cali. that can get the Citrus rootstock to me for ninety cents each in lots of 100. I Am thinking about trying some after the new year.