Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a rooster to add in with my 6 laying hens. I have 3 barred rocks, and 3 rhode island reds. If I got a barred rock rooster, would the cross-breed between it and the rhode island hen be okay for my flock? Would there be any complications, or would it matter at all?

Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are you wanting them to produce chicks or just eggs? I have an Americana rooster with two Americana hens and a barred rock hen. For eggs, there is no issue. Not sure about for chicks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you wanting them to produce chicks or just eggs? I have an Americana rooster with two Americana hens and a barred rock hen. For eggs, there is no issue. Not sure about for chicks.
I'm wanting to get one for eggs and chicks. We're hoping to hatch our own eggs in order to expand our laying flock and raise some meat birds.

L

·
0 Posts
There's nothing at all wrong with crossbreeding them. You'll get some nice hybrids.

·
Premium Member
5,955 Posts
Hi all,

I am thinking about getting a rooster to add in with my 6 laying hens. I have 3 barred rocks, and 3 rhode island reds. If I got a barred rock rooster, would the cross-breed between it and the rhode island hen be okay for my flock? Would there be any complications, or would it matter at all?

Thanks!
I would get a True RIR, then you will get RIR with your RIR hens and Black Sex Links with your Barred hens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts