Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Pigs
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finnaly found a barred rock rooster so I be more prepared for hard times coming my question is he's a year old with ready to lay pullets 6 of them is he enough to keep all 6 hens fertile and how long will he be able to do his job?

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,133 Posts
You might need to increase the # of girls to 8-10, just pay attention if their backs start to look worn. I have had roosters for years. I believe their fertility may slowly decline but certainly enough to get you a lot of chicks.

·
Registered
Pigs
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might need to increase the # of girls to 8-10, just pay attention if their backs start to look worn. I have had roosters for years. I believe their fertility may slowly decline but certainly enough to get you a lot of chicks.
I only had 4 hens with my last rooster I'm upping my hens to 6 Rhode Island reds and a barred rock rooster

·
STILL not Alice
20,200 Posts
They'll probably be just fine. There's enough of him for 6 hens. Our first rooster (Americauna) was 9 years old and still successfully breeding a dozen hens.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
You can make or buy chicken saddle/ back aprons. To protect your girls. Once injured they can be pecked to death.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
It depends on the rooster. Some are not hard on the hens back and some are. I presently have 2 Lav Orp roo's with 16 hens and none of the hens have a bare back. I just hatched 16 chicks. The roo's are always after the hens. I've also had roo's that were hard on the hens and required aprons on the favorite hens. Some hens won't allow the roo's to mate with them, resulting in some clears when candled....you gotta love Mother Nature.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts