rookie

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Josiah, May 14, 2005.

1. Josiah

Josiah New Member

Hello cowboys and gals,
    how's it goin'? I just wanted to introduce myself. The name's Josiah but my friends call me Joh. I am 21 and I am currently serving in Iraq for the Ohio ARNG. America rules! Well to give yall an idea of where I'm comin' from, I was raised in the country till the age of 7. My parents raised goats and chickens but by the time I came around they had gotton rid of 'em, and after my grandmother passed we moved to the burbs and I never got the chance to really no how to raise any animals.
    Well I've always loved the country and I've always wanted to move back and start a little farm where I can raise a family and some livestock. Luckily I'm engaged to a fine woman who is very understanding and upon my return we'll be in the market for a farmhouse. So I've decided to do some research now and avoid the headaches. And I'll probably be asking some questions that would make yall shake your head. I thank all of you in advace for your patience.
    I just have a few questions right now. Like: does anyone here own or know anything about Highlands? Any info on 'em would be great. I'd sure like to know how much a registerd pedigree heifer would run for in ohio, or around that area. I'd also like to know how much for bulls. And what's the best thing to feed highlands? I've read that they're great foragers/grazers but is this good for the milk and meat? anything else about land quantity, special equipment, vacination/medical requirments would be great to.
    I look forward to reading your replies, thank you and god be with you.

-Joh

2. Shelly

Shelly Member

Hi Joh!

I can't help you with Highlands or Ohio land. But I do want to say welcome, and I pray you get home safely.

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Nowhere near Ohio so I cannot comment on your question. Welcome to these boards, feel free to visit our veterans board and tell us what the real situtations are over there now.

4. Conni

Conni Well-Known Member

Hi Joh!!

I am new to the board as well! First, I'd like to say thank you for what you are doing for me an my family over in Iraq. It brings tears to my eyes to think about it. Your fiance must be a really strong wonderful young lady!

That said here's what I am learning about raising cattle...My husb and I recently bought 91 acres in SW Missouri. With only 15-20 acres of pasture that I really would like to put some livestock on (and move there myself at some point)!! The rest of it is woods and steep hills of course... My sister has cattle in SW Missouri so I have asked her and bil alot of questions. They raise limousine. A calf would run about $500 maybe more or less?? Depends on several things... Price of cattle per pound, type of cattle (beef cow or a dairy cow), registered or not, etc... A full grown cow or bull would easily run $1000.00 or more the way the prices are now per pound!!! I am learning all I can about Black Angus- I think that is what I'd like to have. I dont know what highlands are? So I cant help you there! I am currently reading some books from the library-- maybe your fiance would find these interesting!! 'Raising Beef Cattle' and 'Farm Animals: Your Guide to Raising Livestock' by: Jeanie Peck-Whiting... I dont have them in front of me not sure who the author is on the first one- but she can look them up by the title. I know there are many other books out there that will be helpful as well. Talk with people in that area they will no more about what to feed livestock there and how to best raise them in the area you are planning on living... Have your fiance go talk with the vet's in that area too. Maybe they can steer you to a farmer that will be full of information as well!

The members of this board are full of knowledge! They can correct anything that I may have said wrong. Like I said- I am new to all of this too. :)

Good luck !! I love the idea of moving my boys out to the farm. :)

I hope you tell your fiance about this forum-- she can be making friends on here and learning about livestock along with you!! :)

5. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Welcome, I can't comment on Ohio since I live in Canada but I do love my small herd of highlands. They are easy keepers since they are browsers and their smaller frame requires less feed per animal than many of the larger breeds. I find mine to be docile and easy to work with but you should know that you do need working facilities that will accomodate their horns. They don't need much extra space and if you don't crowd them or rush them, they will think their way through with no horn damage. The carcass is ideal for small families and the meat is great. They live well in a cold climate and shed out nicely to accomodate summer heat. Our springs storms can be pretty harsh and the highland calves will be found out playing in the worst of weather. We find they do very well on a mid grade feed, nothing too rich, and a protein/mineral supplement.

I should also mention that they are a lot like longhorn cattle and disease resistant and similar for calving ease. The cows can be a bit maternal at calving but with no need for assisted deliveries, it's really no problem and we've never had a problem tagging and weighing new babies.

6. pekin84

pekin84 Member

Hello Joh,
    I'm waving from Northwest Ohio. Thank you for bravely serving your country. I have a 9th grade son who is interested in Air Natl Guard. I would be proud but my mommy heart still quivers! The base near us, Mansfield, was just announced as "soon-to-be-closed." It's too bad.

Come home soon, and good luck pursuing the farm of your dreams.

7. Josiah

Josiah New Member

Hi everybody,
    I just want to say that it warms my heart to know that there's bunch of people back home who support us and our mission here in Iraq. And I think everyone here would agree with me when I say thank you, for all of you back home are the real heroes. We just do what we're told and without your everyday love and support, alot of us here would be alot worse off. It's knowing that we have made a difference in people's lives that keep us going.
    And I also want to thank all of you for your comments about highlands. The info is greatly appreiciated. I'll see ya round the forums.

-Joh

8. Momof8kiddoes

Momof8kiddoes Well-Known Member

Hi Joh-
    Cant help you with your questions, but cant pass up not saying thank you for your sacrifice for me, my family, my neighbors, my town, my state, and my country. You have much support, even from those that dont agree with the war itself (that Ive talked to anyway)-they still have their hearts towards you all over there. God bless you and keep you,
    Mary F.

9. BFFhiredman

BFFhiredman Well-Known Member

Hi Joh:

I'd also like to say thanks to all of the men and women serving our country.

Here's a link about Highland cattle that may be useful. I don't know what part of Ohio you are from but there is a guy near Warsaw, IN that has Highlands. (Warsaw is about 1 1/2 - 2 hours west of VanWert, OH) I can get his name and number if you are interested. I'm pretty sure I've seen Highlands advertised for sale in Ohio.

http://www.highlandcattle.org/Default.htm

Best wishes.

BFFhiredman