Roofing, Shingles or Metal?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lois, Dec 23, 2006.

1. Lois

Lois Active Member

Can someone tell me the advantages of metal roofing over shingles? I have to hire this done, so I'm guessing metal will cost less in labor, right? There are old shingles on the roof--one layer of asphalt, one of very old shakes. Can metal roofing be applied on top of these two layers? Thanks very much for your help.

2. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

This may depend on your local code.

We have a building in Ct, where you can not have more than two layers on the roof. Anything else and they will stop you, everything must be stripped off the roof and shipped the New Jersey the "garden state". Before you can begin applying a new roof.

3. CatsPaw

CatsPaw Who...me?

don't count on labor being cheaper for metal roofing. Metal material is alot more expensive....$100-$120 per square compared to $50 or so for asphalt. Metal lasts longer than asphalt.

Aside from codes, I'm pretty sure it can be installed over.

4. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

The biggest advantage of metal over shingles is the longevity of metal. Properly installed, a metal roof should last 50 years. For most of us, we probably won't have to worry about replacement.

Unless you have lots of angles & such, installing a metal roof is VERY easy. If your roof has a pitch of 6/12 or less, it is a VERY easy installation process.

In regards to the old shingles & shakes on the existing roof, they should be removed before metal goes over it. If for some reason, the sheathing under the existing roof has rotted (not an unlikely scenairio), and the metal roofing gets screwed into the deteriorated sheathing, its only a matter of time before the screws pop out. When screws pop out of a metal roof, this is very bad situation. It means the entire metal roof has to come off, the sheathing replaced, and then the metal goes back on.

Remove the old shingles & shakes. Inspect the sheathing. Replace anything suspect. Then cover with 30# felt and install the metal roof.

Regarding labor costs, THEORETICALLY, installation of a metal roof should be less than 1/2 the cost of shingles. The prices are what they are.

5. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i thought they were best installed on lathe?

6. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

I've been doing research as I will need a roof this year and have shingles right now. I want a metal roof but there is more to the roof than just the metal. getting a good job is the hardest part as there is more than just screwing it down that makes it last. They will all tell you about the 30 year warranty, but that's only on the paint and all they'll do for you is give you another piece if the paint peels.
    The poor installation of the metal seems to be the biggest drawback. Yes it can be installed over shingles, but not directly over them to install it properly.
    Go to www.metalroofing.com and read the forums and ask questions. If you read there you will see how most of the questions pertain to a poor installation job by the contractor.

7. Lois

Lois Active Member

Thanks for the info everyone. Codes are not a problem. The roof is very simple, not steep and no intricate angles. I'm planning to sell this place so I'm not concerned in a roof that lasts 50 years. I just want a roof that won't leak and looks nice. Considering this, would I still have to remove the shingles and shakes?

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I our area you get a discount on your insurance with a metal roof, too.

Also, no hail damage to our metal roof when everybody else had to have theirs replaced!!

It's wonderful.

9. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Definetly don't have to remove the asphalt/fiberglass shingles. I would guess without looking that you don't have to remove the shakes either so you can roof over it. It's recommended that you put underlayment (tar paper) over the old roof before installing the metal. If needed to level or surface the old roof you can install wood strips across the roof and then secure the metal to it although it makes it harder to walk on the roof. I would install the screws in the ribs to help prevent leaks.

10. swamp man

swamp man Well-Known Member

A metall roof lasts waaaaaaaaay longer,and can add value to a house.The materials will cost ya' more than asphault,and batons will nee to be installed before the metal panel.Ideally,the existing roof should be stripped to the decking.
    If you're planning to sell though,I'd just do another roof-over with asphault.It'll cost you a third or less the price of a properly installed metal roof.

11. bstuart29

bstuart29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a metal roof and I found out a downside to them just a few weeks ago, snow slides off a lot easier which in my case took part of the guttering with it, some was due to the ice. In my oponion metal is still better if you plan to stay in the house for the long haul.

12. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

If selling, I would put up shingles. Some people would not appreciate a nice metal roof, so go conventional

13. ET1 SS

Around here most houses have metal roofs, and I saw more folks replacing their previous roofs with metal all of the time.

I do not think that a metal roof would have any determent to a buyer.

-------------------
    Got spare food coupons? and want to assist military families in need? Food coupons are honoured and they are still 'good' for an additional 6 months beyond their printed expiration date, at all commissaries over-seas. Send them to:

Naval Support Act - Naples
    Family Service Center
    Attn: Food Coupon Drive
    PSC 817, Box 10
    FPO-AE 09622

Thank you.

14. Ford8N

Ford8N Well-Known Member

I did both last year. I hired the Amish to tear off the old layers of roof for the farmhouse and they put op new OSB and used architectural shingles that emulate shakes. I reroofed the old dairy barn using galvaninized steel. It would have cost me a fortune in labor to do a tear off on the barn due to size, height and pitch. They were able to put the metal roof on over layers. That works fine for the barn and it saved me from having to hire another dumpster (expensive). I was amazed at how those Amish can get up and down like monkeys. I am the do-it-yourself type, but not with roofing.

To answer your question, metal is cheaper in labor and can sometimes be installed over an old roof if it is not lumpy, but shingles are cheaper to buy. Don't skimp on the roof. It is the single most important part of the house, so splurge and buy good materials. Good shingles now are rated for 40-50 years.

I posted pics here:
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/kaefer@ameritech.net/album/576460762329900919#page1

15. Bercado

Bercado Well-Known Member

Snow sliding off is a good thing. Many roofs collapsed in Illinois and Missouri a few weeks ago when we had a lot of ice and snow.
    A steep roof is a good idea because sooner or later there will be a big snow and you may find out just how much snow your roof can take.

16. Ford8N

Ford8N Well-Known Member

If you are selling then it is all the more reason to do a tear-off with the new roof. (I have been selling real estate for 14 years)

17. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

Agreed if you are planning to sell you will need to do a complete tear off or potential buyers will not be able to insure the house , this is a major selling point . as for which lasts longer it depends alot on care weather and installation.
    I have seen wood shingles that still look new after 60+ years and have never leaked (not shakes shingles) . these were cared for properly installed and linseed oiled on at regualr time periods (5years)
    Ive also seen "New" asphalt shingles and metal roofs leak the day after completion. If your putting on asphalt shingles and your roofer show up with a bucket of tar chase him off . A shingler who installs flashings properly and does correct metal work shouldnt need more than a tube of caulking . There are also a number of asphalt shingles that carry 50 year warrentees and some composits that carry 75 years .
    While metal carries a 30 year on paint and some a 50 year warrenty other than galvanized you'll be hard pressed to find a 50 year old metal roof , look at the condintion of those old metal roofs. you also have to realize that many of those older metal roofs were hot galvanized which lasts longer than the current cold galvining . Even the old commercial standing seam roofs had their wear problems .
    Now if you want a roof to last through generations go with standing seam soldered copper , Tile with soldered copper flashing , or slate also with soldered copper .

18. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

No brainer, if you're selling soon, shingles, if you'e keeping it forever, steel. Personally I like to strip off the old roof (unless it's one of those bullet proof old steel roofs) and start fresh with roll roofing (or a similar water proof membrane) and steel on strapping. You can check the condition of the framing and sheathing once it's stripped. Yes they are a tad noisy but it's a comforting sound to me on a stormy night. We resheeted the 80+ year old steel roof with steel on the old farm house. One ice storm will teach you much about asphalt roofs, which the "new" house had.

19. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

If you have a woodburning stove and have to clean the chimney every few months, I'd opt for an asphalt shingle roof.

20. ET1 SS

Why?