Roofing Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ForMyACDs, Nov 27, 2003.

1. ForMyACDs

ForMyACDs Well-Known Member

Quick question regarding roofing. Our builder came out yesterday and put up the tar paper on the roof. Because they showed up so late (after noon......despite a promise they'd be here by 8 am) they were not able to get the shingles up....instead, there is only tar paper up. I asked if there would be a problem if it rained on the tar paper and they claimed that it would be fine. Of course, with all the lies we've been getting from this builder (this barn was supposed to be done in early September after all) I don't want to trust him on his word in this matter. So......guess what? It rained last night. So.......will we wind up with troubles or am I being a worry-wart?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Tar paper comes in different weights. If he used the 30 lb stuff and the wind doesn't blow the tar paper off you should be OK for a few days. If the sun comes out and drys the tar paper it should be fine. If the tar paper is the 15 lb stuff then if the weather turns cold it will bubble up and be a mess and may tear loss from the fasteners. Hopefully the man will return and complete the task shortly.

3. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

A few days shouldn't be a problem just keep an eye on it if it gets windy.

mikell

4. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Unless this builder is a real amateur ... it'll be fine as long as it still looks good when he shingles it.

5. hobo

hobo Bybee Tennessee

tar paper will shed water for quite some time, as long as it is secured from the wind lifting it up. the roofer should cut a slit in any area that has a bubble showing. you may want to inspect the attic for water damage after the rain if there is any doubt to the papers apperance. as a builder by trade I would get the shingles on asap although on big reroof jobs 15# paper has been used several weeks but you must keep check of.. GOOD LUCK

6. Case

Case Well-Known Member

When the tarpaper's on the roof's considered "dried in."

I've had 30-lb. felt keep subroofing dry a couple of months before I got around to finishing what I consider a hateful and miserable job -- roofing.

That's why I now use nothing but metal roofing, which goes on easily and lasts many, many years.