Roof Repair

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Jena, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I have an enclosed porch roof that is damaged. The guy had a sattelite dish on it, which allowed water to rot the wood, then when he removed it a big chunk of wood broke off.

The roof is made of 1x6 type of wood, with paper and tar on top. The damaged part is about the first 4 pieces of wood beginning at the outside end. The rest of it is sound and does not leak. The rafters or whatever you call the pieces that go perpendicular appear to be ok. If they are screwed up, I'll have to get a professional I think.

I think I would have to rip off those damaged boards, replace them, then re-roof the whole porch with rolled roofing as I don't have access to a tar bucket. It would seem that if I just put rolled roofing on the damaged sections, I'd create a place for water to collect and leak where the rolled meets the tar. Is that about right? Could I merge the rolled roofing to the tar somehow and not have to re-roof the whole thing?

My carpentry skills suck. I can measure five times and still cut wrong. I can't cut a straight line (even with a cheat) to save my life. For this project, I'd only have to cut 4 6" boards, so I'm thinking maybe I can actually do it.

What do you all think?

Jena

2. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

if I am understating your situation correctly your on the right track, cut the rotted board off back to a rafter, and then replace the rotted lumber with new,

I am not totally following you roof situation here,

what exactly do you mean by a tared roof?

is it flat or sloped, and if sloped how long is it (guess if you need to, and that is with the slope of the roof,) and how much slope, (drop of the slope in feet from the top of the roof). (guessing it has a small slope).

a tared roof should have some form of tar paper under it with a tared material placed on top of it, (one can usually buy a cold roof tar, that can be spread with a mop or broom if temperatures are in the 70F and above, it should come in 1 and 5 gallon buckets,

you could probably blend it back in if done correctly but I don't know how to explain the procedure, very well, but you need to lap the tar paper under the existing roof material and lap over the existing at the bottom, and then tar it, after you have it fasten on a few roofing nails,

the rolled roofing does sound like a good idea, as well, YOu start at the bottom and work up lapping each row, of rolled roofing,

3. coydog

coydog Well-Known Member

Don't understand what you have for a roof covering , on top of the paper. To repair the sheathing set your circular saw depth the same as your 1 by 6 thickness. Make your cut on the centerline of the roof rafters. You can repair with any wood the same thickness as the sheathing. Since your damage goes all the way to the eve end, slide your paper under. If you have rolled roofing slide new piece under and tar.

4. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Where the chunk of wood fell out, I can see paper from the bottom. On the top of the roof, it's just tar that was slopped on there. I suppose there might be something else between the two.

The roof is about 8x10 total. It drops enough that I can see the slope. I want to say a foot, but I think that might be too much. I understand I am judging the difference in roof height from where it attaches to the house to the height at the eaves.

Jena

5. patarini

patarini Well-Known Member

Replace the bad boards, lay the roll roofing down, goto Lowes and get a gallon of roof tar, and tar the edge where they meet. Just do a good job and done!

6. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

and how many months ago was electrical work scary? get some old boards and practice mark and cut. my wife was the same ,made her mark and cut lots of kindleing. you can probe the under side to determine how far the rot goes . any way you could post a pik? except for falling off the roof should be easy! depending on what shape the rest of the roof is in the heavy tar roof patch works well.

7. coydog

coydog Well-Known Member

Some time back a man who did roofs for a living told me to remember that water always runs down and under.

8. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

He must have got that from the same Home Improvement book that says "Plumbing is:

Hot is on the left, cold is on the right and s**t runs downhill".

Jena