Ronco Knives

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RedneckWoman, Jan 1, 2005.

1. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I think someone may have posted about these sometime ago but I couldn't find the thread so look over me if this has already been discussed.

Does anyone here have RONCO knives? If so, are they as good as they say they are on the infomercial?

I go through knives like some people go through paper plates so I am in need of a really good set of knives but don't want to spend a fortune for them.

What's yall's opinion about them? Good? Bad? Recommend another brand?

2. Jim in MO

Jim in MO Well-Known Member

Are these the serrated blades that they show sawing through nails and such?

I've never been fond of serrated edges myself guess I'm a little old fashioned that way. I've had real good luck with chicago cutlery, they take and hold an edge fairly well and are not real exspensive.

Jim

3. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

I have them and I absolutely LOVE them. Best knives I have ever had.
    I actually prefer the serrated edge over a straight, seems like the straight goes dull very fast and does not do as good a job on meats.

4. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

I also have them. Love them especially the cheese knife.

5. caballoviejo

caballoviejo Well-Known Member

We just got a very big block of them for Christmas. My wife says she loves them - good quality. My thumb can attest that they are sharp.

Wife doesn't care for the scissors that came with this particular set though, says they won't last very long.

6. We received the same set that I think cabal. is talking about. It has about 10-12 different types of knives/clever/fork etc. plus something like 8 steak knives. We received them about a year ago and the blades are great but the handles have fallen apart from about 3 of them. The ones we use the most. So if these are the same ones you are talking about then I would recommend you to start stocking up on duct tape to replace handles with.

7. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. :)

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You might want to consider a knife you can re-sharpen easily as needed. I love my Chinese cleaver and use it for everything. I also like the Radco brand (silver) knives as they are easily re-sharpened. Why is it you go through them so quickly?

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I'm really picky about kitchen knives. I have a set of the wonder serrated knives and found them marginally useful. I have a nice 20 piece set of Henkels that are about the best kitchen knives that I have ever used. I also have a set of Wusthof knives that I used professionally that I really like.

The Henkels and the Wusthofs are waaaaayy better than any of the stainless steel wonderknives I have used. They are priced somewhere in the stratosphere however. The Wusthofs are a little more reasonable. The 20 piece block of Henkels I have sell for around 600 bucks. The Wusthof knives were what I used when I worked in food service. I had my own knives I took to work. They came with a little briefcase looking thing that was easy to carry back and forth to work. I bought them used, but in nearly new condition and I think I paid around 400 for them. Probably sold for a couple of hundred more new.

If you have the scratch to invest in a set of heirloom knives that will last several lifetimes you just can't beat those wonderful German kitchen knives.