ronco dehydrators?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by michelleIL, Jan 15, 2007.

1. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Anyone have one? What is your experience with them?
    Michelle

2. mtmama

mtmama Well-Known Member

We have a ronco dehydrator that we purchased close to fifteen years ago. It works okay, but takes forever to dehydrate anything! The one we have only has a heating element, no fan. It is also very hard to clean as the holes in the trays are relatively thick and unbending. WE bought two Nesco american harvest dehydrators, and havent used our ronco since. Jerky takes at least two days in the ronco, in the new ones they take less than a day. I think you could get a better quality dehydrator for the price of a ronco. JMHO.
    :)

3. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

I have had a ronco for several years . It works but ...... it doesn't dry evenly .... the items in the center dry well before the items on the outsides of the trays so you have to move them around . Also you have to rotate the trays every few hours . I haven't used mine in quite a while . I do want to get back into drying meats and veggies and fruits so I am going to get an excaliber . From what I hear they are the best . Maybe give my ronco away here on the barter board . It still works well ..... I am just ready for a better one .

4. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

Hey guys, thanks for replying. I'm going to keep mine and see how it goes, I know it's a slow process, and it's going to be better than I can do in the oven.
    Michelle

5. free-2-b-me

free-2-b-me Well-Known Member

If that is all you have then that is what you have to work with . That's what I have been doing . One time I wrapped it in aluminum foil and that did make it work better but , that also was a pain . I just wrapped the sides - not the top or bottom.
    I have never tried oven drying . I have always had an electric oven and I was afraid I'd burn my stuff .... that would have made me cry after all the work I put into it.
    Good luck Michelle !