Romney questions

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Mountaineer, Jan 9, 2007.

1. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

There is a romney flock for sale locally. I don't know if they are PB or crosses, will have to go out and view (and bring the pics here of course). I'm considering getting a small number of sheep to keep as my first 'large' livestock experience. I want to keep it minimal, as I also plan to bring in a couple horses before long. Don't want more animals than I can handle.

Would 1 ram be too hard on two ewes? Or would 2 ewes only- be flock enough for them to be comfortable?

Are these sheep truely more adapted to damp climates?

Has anybody tried milking one off these sheep? That was originally the plan, getting EF's, but the only ones around here need a lot of help during lambing and I don't want to start off like that!

Thanks for any help!!

2. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

The area that I live in is hot, wet and humid and the Romneys cope very well.

One ram and two ewes will muddle along very nicely.

Forget about milking them - they are good mothers and produce and rear a good lamb but milk production is rarely beyond what is required to feed her lamb/s. Perhaps in the longer term you could look at crossing them with an EF and see what you get. The progeny could well be easier lambers and produce a higher milk volume. If not, you've lost nothing and learnt something :)

Cheers,
    Ronnie

3. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

Thanks Ronnie! As there isn't a ram EF around here, crossing would be so slow and I'd wind up with more sheep than I'd like to start up with. I think I'll research the Romney's more and decide if I'm maybe looking at the wrong breed then. I love the damp hardiness though!

4. Lisa A

Lisa A Well-Known Member

We have Romneys, one ram and two ewes and they do fine (hopefully they
    really do fine and produce lambs...). We've found them (others from this
    herd) to be tasty and the wool is nice and it's WET here (standing water
    now) and they cope... can't imagine milking them, they are very skittish.

5. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

I have Romneys, they do great in the NW (wet and cold), good mothers, but not friendly at all - milking them? I don't think I'd attempt that, and mine dry up almost before their lambs are weaned. As for rams, it really depends on the ram, some are nice and not aggressive, and some will breed a post out of season. I separate my ram from my ewes between the time the first one lambs (nowish) and June.

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Mountaineer, where are you located?

As for Romneys...I had one that developed a lovely udder, but she didn't milk well. Overall, not a milking type breed at all. However, a very enjoyable sheep. They're cute and easy to get along with; easy keepers and relatively healthy. Just be sure you're set up for housing a ram. The only issue with running him with the girls year round (aside from some rams can be aggressive to people) is having him breed his daughters if you haven't got a place to keep them safe. I had a three year old ram go through a pretty heavy duty dog kennel to get to a ewe one year. They can be pretty determined! But they're definitely one of my favorites.