Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

ยท
Premium Member
24,427 Posts
We are having a very bad tomato year. Despite my best efforts to keep things watered, the heat and drought and deer are sucking the life out of my garden.

Congrats on your harvest!

Reactions: Crealcritter

ยท
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a lot of tomatoes!
Why do you pick them so green? I always wait until they are more red than that.
Oh that's an easy question... We pick every so often and this is the first picking about 1/2 the 50 foot row. The green one are the ones that fell off the plant because of my big hands, get put in bucket along with the others. There are numerous recipes for green tomatoes. They won't go to waste.

We pick them turning because as you can see there's a fair number of them. The ones that are turning will ripen off the vines.

When my wife cans, she will pick out and can only the fully ripe ones. She canned up a double batch of mild garden salsa yesterday evening ๐Ÿ˜‹

Make sense?

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

ยท
Premium Member
33,767 Posts
Gotcha! Thanks for the explanation. My grandma didn't like green tomatoes and any green ones that fell off while she was picking got tossed into the pasture.

I know tomatoes continue to ripen after being picked but we never picked them green. There just wasn't enough space on the porch to let tomatoes set to ripen.

ยท
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife been working the table down. She makes the best garden salsa with all fresh from the garden veggies ๐Ÿ˜‹. She's canned multiple cases so far, if she rushed making it, it wouldn't be as good.
Food Plant Plum tomato Natural foods Ingredient

Getting closer to second picking for spaghetti sauce, my personal favorite ๐Ÿ˜‹

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts