Rolling my own

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Oct 25, 2005.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

Cigarettes are so high here in Maine that I am now rolling my own. I have just got started and was wondering if any body else does it? Was also wondering what brand of tobacco might taste like a Marlboro Light. Belive me I know I need to quit but will cross that bridge a little later

2. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

definately NOT what I thought that this post was about lmbo

3. Lerxt

Lerxt Well-Known Member

Rolled my own for years. Smoked Drum until they quit selling it. Stay away from Buggler. Just nasty. Noticed that Drum is back now.

None of the hand-rolled brands will be like Marlboro. Pre-rolled smokes are very dry compared to hand-rolling tobacco.

Are you actually hand rolling? Or using the little roller device? Or the tubes with the packer? The tube thing is kinda cool.

4. sue currin

the tube thing. I got Gambler tobacco. not bad, not great eighter

5. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Cigs so exp here ($9/20 pack name brand) many roll their own. My health concerns: how about getting filters so you don't lose benefit of filter /be worse off health wise for this change? ANd why not, like most UK rollers, economize on tobacco as well (tho filter doesn't fit this way) by making very thin skimpy cigs? When I count tobacco use I note thin handrolled since they prob smoke less tob but no filter may almost take away benefit.

6. bare

bare Head Muderator

Drum used to be great tobacco, until they changed hands some years ago and changed the recipe. Fortunately, others came out with similar formulations that are either identical to the former Drum or close enough I can still enjoy it. Samson and Jester to name a couple I've tried.

I pay 2.50 a pack for Samson and get about 50 smokes out of it. Pretty cheap way to kill yerself.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad smokes like a chimney in the evening watching TV....much to everyone's delight :grit:
    He buys his online from some Indian reservation....the arrive via UPS not sure what brand but he says its half of what he would pay at the store in Maine.
    A friend of ours from Holland rolls his own too, and thinks nothing of visiting a prostitute :shrug:
    My brother grows and rolls his own happy tobaccy :rolleyes:

8. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

former smoker here, and you know how they are, so i'll refrain.

however, even tho it's been 5 years since i've touched one, drum by far had the best tasting tobacco. that native american stuff is pretty good too, that i can't remember the name of.

now i gota go brush my teeth or something, so i stop craving them. no, it never entirely goes away..... :grit: but it does get a lot easier to bear.

9. sue currin

Thanks I'll try that. By-the-way the number hit 2000 today in deaths.

10. bare

bare Head Muderator

It's not going to taste like Marlboros or any other American smoke I've tried, but it's very satisfying.

The only trick I try to pass on the new users is to roll it loosely or it won't smoke. It's much moister than American tobacco.

Don't be afraid to try some other brands if it's cheaper. Pretty much any Drum knockoff is pretty good...except Drum. You can tell because they copied the dark blue packaging. Lookout is another.

I have yet to meet a former Drum smoker that can stand the new Drum.

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............My old grandpa had one of those Hand Rolling mochines that you'd load the tobacco and paper in and then slide it from one side over to the other and it made a real Beer Joint smoke . He , at different times would use Sir Walter Raleigh , Prince Albert in the Can , and some others I can't remember . He always had a Pint of Old Charter in his back pocket . Back in the mid fifties when I'd visit during the summer we'd fix hamburgers , then he'd good and drunk just about time for the Friday night fights to come on . He never could remember who had won till he read the Saturday morning paper . Ah , the good old days with Black and white TV and NO airconditioning .......fordy... :rock:

12. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

Used to smoke our own from the stripping shed, nothing fancy. Hand rolled in whatever paper was available.

By-the-way, try out these numbers:

Antietem---7,640
    Chancellersville---24,000
    Chickamauga---34,624
    Cold Harbor---15,500
    Fredricksburg---17,929
    Gettysburg---51,000
    1st Manasas--4,122
    2nd Manasas---23,869
    Petersburg---11,386
    Shiloh---23,746
    Spotsyvania---30,000
    Vicksburg---19,233
    Wilderness---29,800

13. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

Sue--Can't you just get some from home (NC) and use that? That might be way cheaper.

14. Canucklehead

Canucklehead Active Member

Not a specific answer to your post but....

I used to grow my own tobacco. It was never as good as the stuff in the store but it got better as I got better at drying and curing. At first it smelled really bad. I could never fully support my habit but I could supply at least some of my own. It's fun, challenging and give you a whole new insight on tobaccco. Might be a thought if you have the time and space.

Nothing better than a home brew beer and a home grown smoke.

From the store, I prefer Drum. For ready made smokes, I buy Green Death (Export A Green) here in Canada. I would prefer to some fine cigars but they break the bank and I can't stand the cheap ones.

I think I'm going to get a pipe. Never smoked a pipe but I like the idea. Been researching this.

Rambling now... you've got me thinking. I might have to go get a good cigar tomorrow morning.

15. pickapeppa

pickapeppa Well-Known Member

I recently quit smoking, again. It's not so hard if you use the patch, gum or any other typical nicotine replacement. They take the edge off until you are used to not having that physical sensation of smoking. I'm past that now. Forgot to put a new patch on today and started getting a pretty intense attitude, but I didn't reach for that last cigarette I have laying around. I didn't even think about it. I grabbed one of those commit lozenges DH used last time he tried to quit. It made me feel like I had heartburn and strep throat, so I had to spit it out about 10 minutes later. I couldn't stand it anymore. It also gave me a buzz, just enough so that the new patch could kick in. Anywho, enough of the prattling on.

I'm wondering if DH would like hand-rolled cigarettes better. I'm wondering if I should surprise him with a little present? I didn't even know that they sold filters for hand-rolled tobacco. Can you buy those at the tobacco store, too? Hmmm.

Marvella, was the term you were looking for "Kinnik-kinnik"? I used to roll my own cigarettes many years ago. We used to get a tobacco from the west somewhere that wasn't sprayed full of chemicals and pesticides. I wish I could remember the name of it. I just tried to search on it and came up with an article published 4 years ago about a buyout by RJ Reynold's in regard to "Sante Fe" additive-free cigarettes brand that had an indian silhouette smoking a pipe. It doesn't sound the same to me. Whatever the name, it was a good flavored brand.

Does anyone have tobacco seeds to trade??

16. Qwispea

Qwispea Well-Known Member

I quit cold-turkey about 6 years ago..a decision I've never regretted. I had to convince myself that I didn't really want to quit before I finally did quit..because I'd quit so many times that I lost count..and when I finally decided that the reason I didn't quit before was because I really didn't want to quit..is when I stopped fooling myself and gave up the dirty habit cold-turkey.

Anyway..just wanted to report that I heard something this afternoon about UPS decided that they will no longer deliver cigarettes..something about the law saying you can't avoid the taxes by using delivery services. Not sure how true it is..but it might be that cigarettes/tobacco will no longer be available through the mail.

17. bare

bare Head Muderator

I tried the grow your own route some years ago. The first year I ordered in the seeds and got ready to get them started in flats about February. Got the soil all ready, opened up the packet and no seeds. Irate, I wrote a letter to Gurney's asking for replacement which they sent pronto with a caution that the seeds are REALLY tiny. That's an understatement. I still couldn't really see the seeds in the second packet so I just sorta passed it over the seed bed and waited.

Before the end of our growing season I had a nice patch of six foot tobacco plants. I've always smoked unfliltered but I'm here to tell you that stuff was harsh! Since I only had the white burley, I bought some other brands and started blending it which almost made it smokable. It was good as homemade cigars but still not what I wanted to smoke in a pipe or paper.

The stuff Marvela and some others are refering to is American Spirit, which is another brand that supposedly is just tobacco and other than it's higer cost is pretty good stuff, although I always have to add apple to it to moisten it up to where I can smoke it.

18. jokey

jokey Well-Known Member

When the price of cigs went up here in OH we started rolling our own. Yep we use the tubes with filters . Hubby used to smoke Marlboro lights and we buy ElRey light tubes and ElRey Light tobacco. What a savings!!! I smoke menthol and though it took me longer to get used to the hand rolled ones I like the el rey menthol tubes and Midnight Special Menthol tobacco.Cost of Rolling our own? about 5 bucks a carton compared to 40.00 for name brands
    I used to work in a Tobacco store and everyone who came in and bought the cheapest brand would wheeze. These cheapy brands are made in Columbia,Brazil,Guatamala etal.No telling what is in them.
    Yeah I know we all should quit. But that wasn't the question ;)

19. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

I used to roll my own, until I joined the military where it was specifically illegal to do so. :rolleyes:

Even the worse bagged tobacco tastes better than virtually all mass produced cigarettes. If you really want the dry fluffy taste of Marlboro, I guess you could roll up some old shoe laces.

Consider with care your lifestyle, employer and such. You potentially can end up in a world of hurt over posessing "drug paraphanelia". Not saying you will, just that you're coming closer to the edge than others. Especially if you sit there on break rolling your own just like a joint.

20. buddyboat

buddyboat Active Member

I roll TOP tobacco and think it's better than Marlboro.
    Bugler has improved due to better packaging, but TOP is still better.
    Buddyboat