rolling barn doors

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Randy Rooster, Jan 14, 2005.

1. Randy Rooster

Randy Rooster Well-Known Member Supporter

Im building a barn and want my doors to be the old fashioned rolling type instead of hinged. does any one know how to intall them and make them weather proof? i want to build them out of wood and they are going on a barn with t-111 type siding

hardware recommendations?

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Randy
    The channel that the rollers run in needs to be installed Prior to the T1-11 and a flashing needs to be fabricated and run up under the backside of the t1-11 and over the top of the track.

|||| <------T1-11
    ||||:
    .....: <-----Flashing
    :["] <-----Roller track

3. gobug

gobug Well-Known Member Supporter

Randy

I'm not real clear on what you want here. At least some if not most old fashioned barns were hinged. I have no idea how some old barns built rolling doors, unless they used wheels.

If you want a channel rolling door like Agmantoo described, you can find the track and all the hardware at a coop supply store. Did you have something else in mind?

4. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

If possible make one door per opening Like one 12 foot door instead of 2 6 foot doors Wind plays havoc with double doors. I made a frame and covered it with fiberglass. this made a light weight door that is easy to open and shut.

5. Randy Rooster

Thanks to everyone for the replies so far. Im wondering if there has to be a track on the bottom for the door to slide on . Does anyone have a link to a good web site or pictures or any more information?

6. rutter

rutter Member

The door framing is built on on ground. Typically 2x6 is is the frame which is laid flat. and then the corners are reinforced with blocks and screwed to 2x6 in corners. Blocks are 45 degree cut. The track is anchored to the head of the barn on a cont. 2x6 across opening and beyond for door in open position.The 2x6 flushes the outside of the dor to the outside of barn face. Tracks hangers etc are purchases at lumber company two styles exist so you have to choose which you prefer but I'm partial to the CannonBall manufacturer.

Once track is anchored the and the hangers(trolleys are installed on dor frames typically two per door section. The frame is lifted up to end of track and installed by sliding onto door track. once hung siding material is installed on the door frames in the hanging position. Install stops to prevent sliding door of track and your done. One thing though when purchasing dorr track etc. buy the track cover this is the couter flashing to keep snow ice etc out of track.

No bottom track is used as you questioned. Various door lock etc are sold for sliding doors which you will also need. Hope this helps.

7. Randy Rooster

Ruytter-

thats the most detailed explanation ive heard yet and yesw it has helped. thank you.

What do you mean by cannonball manufacturer? Do you have any sources for the track and other hardware?

thank you again. I was starting to think it wasnt gonna be doable.

8. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Looks like Cannonball is a round track, from a Google search. There are many dozens of types, not just 2. Round tube & square tube with rollers inside, or a track rail with rollers on top of it.

To anchor the bottom you can make a concrete groove for the door to slide in (fills with ice in cold climates), put a pipe or post on the ends to keep the door from blowing, they make short 'bump ramps' in the middle to hold the doors in, and they make special hooks & latches to pull the doors in tight to the frame when closed. You must do something to keep them from blowing outward.

All depends on which manufacturer & what you need.

Check your local lumber supply places & builders. You'll find more info than you know what to do with.

It is difficult to make these 100% weather proof, they do have air leaks in the wind (if you are looking to heat) unless you really invest in some weather stripping & tight building tolerances.

--->Paul

9. rambler

I wasn't sure anyone still made the simple old 'flat track' style, but found this web site:

http://www.barndoorhardware.com/flat_track_hardware.htm

I'm not familiar with this place, & am not recommending them, I'll bet a local place could beat their price....

However, they have neat on-line diagrams of how to install the flat track & square tube types, as well as some bottom rollers.

--->Paul

10. Ole Man Legrand

Ole Man Legrand Well-Known Member

Bottom of door Guide. I put a u shape metal clip at the bottom of the door on each side of the door way. this holds the door staitionary when closed and the wind can't blow it out. I had put a metal piece in the concrete so I just welded the u shape clip to it. I do need to put a piece of flashing over the track to keep the water out.

11. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

thanks for the site paul. we have rebuilt all our old flat track hardware but need to install some more doors. hate the cannon ball and box track so was going to smith our own . the stuff they have looks good and when you figure the old stuff on our barn was 70 years old then not that bad!have had box and cannon ball blow apart as soon as three years after an install.

12. Randy Rooster

Ford Major-

What do you mean that youve had the box track and cannonball type " blow apart"? Was failure due to the wind or someting else and what failed?

I am also interested in how you weatherproof along the top of your flat track type and along the side?

I dont want to buy something that isnt going to last.

13. fordson major

on the track were flimsey catchs that would seperate then the wind and movement would break the tracck apart at the seam we did weld up one track and it has been good for twenty years but is starting to spread so the rollers rub.with the flat track we just had to rebuild the rollers. roof over hang and door over lap were already there. have seen gutter trough turned up side down over the door portion .worked slick and cost less than the prebent tin on offer.the cannon ball track was on a farm beside us .there the track spread and then the rollers jambed! for the last ten years of the barns life the doors stayed shut .never even bothered to salvage the old track .

14. Randy Rooster

Thanks for the reply FM-

Im wondering why the track would spread out or seperate? I know that the manufacturer lists weight limits for the doors that dont seem all that high considering some big old barn doors. One of them says 450 lb limit and another 600 lbs.

15. rambler

I have a machine shed dad built in '64, a pair of 16'w x 12'h wooden doors. They slide on rollers in black round pipe. I have no idea who the manufaturer is. Sometime in the '80's the haymow sliding door track was replaced on the 1909 barn. Larger wooden door. Same type of track.

These doors get used on an active farm.

They have had zero maintenence & work fine. Used all 3 doors yesterday.

I see new stuff offered with plastic parts. I'm not sure I would go for that.

Lots of buildings were remodeled in the 50's on this farm & have the flat rail track. Those have been working as well to this day. These get a shot of oil every few years when they roll hard - more exposed to the elements. Had some minor pin repairs....

--->Paul

16. fordson major

we istalled a door of 300 pds as per instrutctions however the spacing on the holders was to far apart even thoughwe had twice as many holders. doors were hooked from the in side by original metal hooks to stop them from swinging .after only three months the door had trouble rolling and by six months was taken down .some of the problem was with wind working the door and spreading the track.the track works well with smaller doors and if you weld the seams on the box track.and as paul says all the plastic! the bering rollers on the newer stuff are nylon .the doors were replaced with doors off another barn on flat track.that was 25 years ago. rebuilt the rollers five years agoand repair some damaged boards.paul sounds like heavy duty cannon ball! to bad they don't make it to last any more!

17. rutter

rutter Member

To reply to your question regarding Door Track and the manufacturer.
    Manufactureres I know of.
    CannonBall: uses round rollers in a round track.
    Natiional: a rectangular track

I prefer Cannonball myself but National does the job also.

You probably can find these on the web and look at the differences.

You can also contact a pole Barn builder in your area and find a supplier, but most lumber companies that sell pole barn packages also have the hardware.

To track the bottom etc: If this door opening is driven thru or in area of hay etc a bottom track will fill dirt etc even if done with conc. Both compinies noted above have keeper rollers which mount at jamb bottoms to keep doors in vertical. Also have hardware to latch from interior.

Hope this helps.