Rolled Oats

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hilda, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Hi MaggieJ,

In a different thread you wrote, "Have you tried rolled oats - just the ordinary oatmeal from your kitchen? I feed it to my young rabbits as well as pellets when they begin eating solids."

I've heard/read this before and would like to offer rolled oats to my fryers (when I get 'em). What percentage do you feed oats in relation to the pellets? I don't want to feed to much. Thanks in advance for any info.

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Gee, Hilda, I don't measure. The doe usually eats most of it anyway, so I don't worry about the babies getting too much. I think I give them about three parts pellets to two parts oatmeal.It gets expensive, so I usually buy two bags of the old fashioned (large flake) oats and when I open the second bag, I gradually reduce the amount. They gets pellets free choice, of course, so the oatmeal just becomes the icing on the cake.

I've had good results with my kits doing this, but I don't know how more experienced rabbit raisers might view it. Perhaps some of them will give you their take on the subject.

3. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

I buy the steamed rolled oats at my feedstore for $10 for 50 lbs. I used to do the oatmeal thing, but that gets expensive in comparison. I top the feeder for nursing moms and junior show rabbits and put a separate bowl out for growing out fryers after weaning. It's the same cost as my pellets and does a better job of getting my fryers to weight, so I figure I 'll offer both and let them work it out. Oats NEVER get scratched out:).

Tim B.

4. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

LOL, MaggieJ! Am I sounding just a tad anal-retentive? (I tried to add the embarrased face here and couldn't ) I do tend to 'micro-manage' when doing something new and not quite sure of the 'nut & bolts' proccedure.

I have a big bag of oats here - love my oatmeal on cold mornings - so I'll try that. Thanks not only for the info but for the patience as well :)

5. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

That's good to know! I have oatmeal here so I'll try that. I'll look into steamed rolled oats at the feed store but with my tiny group, 50 lbs would probably take forever to finish and might spoil, may-be. Perhaps I could get it in a smaller quanity.

Thanks

6. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Hilda, don't apologize for wanting exact information. I tend to be a bit slap-dash about things like that. Some people cook from a recipe and some just throw this and that into the pot. That's usually me.

Tim, the steamed rolled oats sound like a good plan. How long do they keep? Are they okay for bucks and dry does as well (in moderation) or will it make them too fat? And lastly, are they of any use in feeding other critters like chickens and geese?

7. tbishop

I don't know how long they keep- if I don't feed them to my rabbits, my dogs get into them:). They ate half the bag last time.

The only thing you need to be careful with the grains with rabbits is that it "heats" them up. I was using oats and black oiler sunflower seeds as a top dressing to condition my rabbits a couple of years back for the fair. When we got there, it was so hot, many of mine spent the day panting. Everyone thought they were sick. My rabbit building was much cooler.

If I were to give them to adult rabbits, it'd be sparingly and only in the winter. I usually give it to all the jrs and show rabbits a tablespoon a day, 2 tbspn for nursing does, and free feed for weaned fryers. It's just a good bump for them. Not necessary by any means.

I hope that made sense.

Tim B.

8. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I feed oatmeal oats to my buns as a treat, and would caution those of you buying oatmeal to make sure they're the "old-fashioned," slow-cook variety and NOT the quick-cook kind. The quick-cook kind will swell in their stomachs and cause major problems - or so I've been told!

Pam :cool: <--------- only has five bunnies - not enough for 50lbs of oats!

9. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I give my rabbits whole oats, a small handful when the temps get near or below freezing. One will not eat whole oats so she gets old-fashioned rolled oats instead, the quick one minute oats. Never had a problem with them swelling in her belly.

10. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

I top dress their feed bowls with regular oats, $5 for 50 lbs. Some really like them, others not so much. Also give a bit of Animax sometimes during stress times, its Purinas answer to Calf Manna. I only give a few pellets at a time, and they all gobble it up. Oats are a nice addition in the winter.

11. aussie dave

aussie dave Active Member

hi all
    very interesting information flowing here
    but
    the only rabbits i have ever had ar the wild ones that i have shot for food
    so
    I have been looking at the possiblity of raising some myself but the only thing I know about feeding them is from a friend that has a pet and all they give the is greens (in the form of lettuce and cabbage) and carrots and the occasional ground cover (grasses and seeds). I know in the wild they mainly live on the latter (grasses and seeds).
    but
    from what i can make out for farming them type situation you are feeding them pellets like you do chicken, and now this rolled oat meal too.
    is this rolled oatmeal the same as people breakfest food?
    how is it served to the rabbits is it mixed with water to make it into a sludge? or
    is it given dry as with the pellets?

all info welcomed
    thanks in advance

12. tbishop

Well from what I understand about things over there- the rabbits you hunt and the rabbits we raise are the same species. The pellets we feed are primarily alfalfa based, with grains and minerals added. If you didn't have those available, I would go with a grass hay/ small portions of grains diet. Fresh veggies tend to water nutrients down, so to speak. Just my opinion though.

Would you be trapping them, feeding them up, then processing them? Or would you keep breeding stock. I think it'd be so much fun to trap all the feral animals over there for food sources.

Tim B.

13. aussie dave

aussie dave Active Member

the rabbits that are wild here don't do so well after they are trapped
    the rabbits seem to go into shock and only last 2 or 3 day after
    and that is giving them food and water and staying far enough away to monitor them but not so close that they are constantly aware that you are there
    but if i could i would catch a dozen or so and use the as breeding to start with then after a litter or 2. retire them to the pot