Rogue Pug Marking Territory

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lisa in WA, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

I'm looking for suggestions. My daughter's 4 year old Pug is her pride and joy. We had him neutered at 6 months to prevent leg-lifting. He didn't lift his leg until somehow, the light bulb went on in his round little head and he started when he was 2. Now he's graduated to marking things in the house: an open door, laundry basket, whatever. When I catch him he looks totally surprised like, "Jeez, what was I thinking". We've gone back to crating him when he is not fully attended, but being a childs dog, inevitably she loses track for a bit and up goes the leg. There isn't any sign of urinary tract infection, and I can't help but think if the leg couldn't be lifted, the problem would go away. Amputating a front leg so he can't lift a hind (KIDDING...don't freak out) seems extreme. I wonder if we could hobble him and keep him from marking. Sounds crazy but maybe someone else has an idea. Other than this issue, he's a wonderful little dog.

2. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

Our chinese crested was house trained until we took him camping with us and he found out he could lift his leg anywhere.
    Since then we haven't been able to house train him (#1) soooooooooooo he wears a diaper when he is in the house. We take a normal baby diaper and wrap it around and tape it together.

Works for us and the dog is allowed to live here. BTW He doesn't seem to mind the diaper. We have been doing this for at least five years.

3. Lisa in WA

I don't wanna change a dog's diaper!!

4. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

:haha: :haha: Why not??? :haha: My boy has decided to mark 'his' house up too I keep finding it EEEWWWW!!! I go get him and take him to the spot and tell him NO NO!!! he just looks at me.............He used to not do it at all then these people moved in a little ways down from us and they have like 6 yorkies they are breeders. I think those females are making him do it. Hubby refuses to have him snipped so I guess HE will have to clean up the mess :eek:

5. Lisa in WA

I HAD him snipped. We crate trained him. He was PERFECTLY house-broken for 2 years. No new dogs came into the house. We did everything right, and now this little flat-face is not playing by the rules! Amputation is sounding better and better! Think of it...if we take off a front leg, when he lifts his back leg, he'll just tip over! Makes me smile just to think about it. :D

6. ralphsmom

ralphsmom Well-Known Member

Belly Bands. They're available at Pet Smart and Pet Catalogs. Especially made for that problem.

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I think its a CRUEL thing to casterate a dog or cat would you have it done to your CHILD?????

8. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Belly bands?? that sounds funny.....I think your dog is just being a dog....sorry :no:

9. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

Cruel?
    Well, we just did that to my aunt's dog because he was getting "too amorous" with the goats. It was either castration ... or a quick bullet.

10. Lisa in WA

Ralphsmom, Thanks! You may well have saved a Pug's leg. I'm going to give Belly bands a try. :D

11. ralphsmom

ralphsmom Well-Known Member

Lisa. I have 2 Pug boys and have been pretty lucky with mine. But in the Pug chatrooms I belong to and the many friends I have with them, they have the same problem. Most use the belly bands and one lady even makes little overalls with pads for hers. Good luck.