Rodent Control.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by james dilley, Oct 9, 2006.

1. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well at this time of year its seems more folks are having Rodent troubles. So plz. while we are out in the pens and out buildings, We need to take A few extra minutes and see where we might need to work to prevent the rodents entry. Also this can be expanded to include possums coons and there ilk also. While we all would like to think that we do not have rodents, The fact is there are rodents nearly everywhere. While my cats do A good job I also try and keep up with spilled feed and keeping the yards clean. Plz, Do not take offense at this posting I just want to remind folks before we have problems.

2. BamaNana

BamaNana Well-Known Member Supporter

Yup! Couldn't agree more!
    Me and my trusty shop vac are going hunting in my chicken house this coming weekend to suck up anything that has more than two legs :nerd: :D

3. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

I have seem to have acquired a resident snake in my barn....needless to say, havent seen a rodent since. Of course, sometimes, I come up missing a few eggs... A small price to pay, in my opinion, since I detest rodents.

4. mamajohnson

Have you ever noticed that the rodent scream is totally different?
    My boys can be in the other end of the house (insert barn, yard, dog pen, chicken pen, rabbit pen.....)
    and hear me scream,,,,and then I hear,,, Oh no big deal, mom just saw a rat..
    Now, remember, even if it is 1/4 of a centimeter long, it is a RAT!!!! :help:
    ewwwwwwwwww

5. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

Our cat seems to like to catch the mice on the outside of the house, not the one on the inside. And its a fat little sucker too! The mouse that is.

6. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind if the opossums stayed in the chicken house but its getting bad when I find them in the house . about two weeks ago a young one wasfound eating out of thedog dish in the kitchen . I caught it and turned it loose out side . Well last night I believe it was the same one was caughtin the master bath room . it did not survive the encounter . It was captured with an improvised catch stick ( mop handle with a rope loop thru the handle eye). It was then take outside and dispatched .
    Sofar this year we have had a snake in the washing machine , a possum in the kitchen and bath, a persistant mouse and @$%#@@ ants .

7. mamajohnson

ohhh we had a possum once. I thought it was a huge rat! lol!!
    It was eating the cat food, in the middle of the night. I had a box of cat food up on a desk - because we had kittens that were getting into everything.... I heard the box rattle and was ready to knock the fire out of that kitten.... and then the HUGE (ok maybe not huge) rodent looked at me! It was a possum (couldnt have told me that then!) and probably was about 1 and a half feet long - NOT counting the tail! I screamed,,,, hurtling myself across the bed (and my husband) and, by the way, I was 9 months pg at the time.... woke my deaf husband (you wonder how LOUD I screamed?)
    actually, I was beating him yelling,,, KILL IT KILL IT it is a huge rat!!!!!!!!!
    then the darned thing ran down the hall towards my kids bedroom..... oh...see mom run,,,, see fat pregnant mom run,,,,, to be sure the huge rat doesnt get on her babies!!! LOL! It went behind the couch, I slammed the kids door (screaming the whole time mind you) and DH was running down the hall in skivvies with the 22,, wondering what on earth was happening! :shrug:
    Needless to say, the possum was SHOT DEAD!! I cleaned the mess, DH almost barfed (man they stink!) I had the baby a week later (wonder why?) and all was well.... that's my story, and I'm gonna stick to it....

But, DH still teases me about that "huge rat" in the house.... Thank the Lord he was willing to rescue his mildly hysterical wife....even if he wasnt sure what it was he was rescueing me from LOL!!!

8. mamajohnson

Rose, I am SO glad I am not alone! :D and my family thinks I am weird!!!
    LOL!