Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who owns land near me, but lives mostly about 90 miles away. She needs something for rodent control in her house out here, and thought a cat would work, but it would have to be alone in the house for probably 4-5 days a week.

I'm not sure any cats I'm acquainted with would work out that way. Seems a cat or two could get into a lot of trouble, or be really lonely, by themselves in a house (with plenty of food and water and litter) for nearly a week. And this winter, perhaps she couldn't get out here at all for more than a week. I don't want to be obligated to go over every couple of days to check - she has a long lane that I'm sure would get snowed in easily.

What would you do as an alternative, barring poison of any sort? Traps? What kind? We're open to suggestions that might work.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Look up bucket traps. You can buy one or make your own. I have seen them used effectively. Maybe not the quickest way for a mouse to go...

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Don't use poison it feeds them and they stink when they do die. Use all the different kinds of traps, glue, water, bait. Pack steel wool around all pipes and penetrations into the house....James

·
Premium Member
6,011 Posts
It would only work when someone was there, but a terrier type dog is a much better mouser than any cat. They snatch and kill, drop and move on to next kill. A cat likes to play with a mouse until it either dies or gets away.

·
Wood Nymph / Toxophilite
1,615 Posts
I recently ran into a mouse in the hallway as he exited my storage room.

My solution, on payday, is going to be to put all "mouse attractants" ie: mac and cheese, paper towels, blankets, etc. in plastic totes. Then place glue traps under the shelves the totes are on.

T

·
0 Posts
Snap trap loaded with just a teensy smidge of peanut butter. Just a hint. Not enough for a mouse-meal. Stuff it under the loopy thing.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Traps work - we use them for chipmunks and mice. But if 4-5 days can pass, they can stink.

As for cat(s), we had two cats that seemed to do fine even with 2 weeks alone. As long as they had free food, water, and a place to poop, they'd do fine - yes, together, not alone.

They'd eat the moles. Don't know if they'd eat mice, but we did have moles, and they would eat them.

Just a couple thoughts.

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
Look up bucket traps. You can buy one or make your own. I have seen them used effectively. Maybe not the quickest way for a mouse to go...
I'm going to second third and forth this... Also called a repeating trap.. Never has to be reset... I use them. A friend taught me how to make and use them. I've seen him catch over 30 mice in one bucket in a week in his shop..

It will need to be emptied as often as possible though..

[YOUTUBE]jezQKOl5q-w[/YOUTUBE]

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
For what it's worth I'd recommend signing up with a rodent control company and give the responsibility to them. If neither of you are going to be onsite it's the only way that makes sense to me. You can't be putting cats and dogs inside or outside a house and leaving them unsupervised for long periods of time. Simi's bucket trap is the best idea but you'd have to make certain to empty the buckets at least every other day to keep down the smells. The house needs to be sealed against rodent entry; otherwise you may as well hand the keys to the mice right now because they will destroy your property if left unchecked.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Before I'd think of any kind of trap or bait, I'd seal any, and I do mean any, opening into the house. Caulk and steel wool are the best.

Traps and bait would be my second like of defense.

Reactions: Maura

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
As it gets cold, mice like to come into your house to keep warm. Seal up the house.

I like the idea of getting a terrier, but only if your friend likes dogs. The dog would hunt the mice on the weekends.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts