Rocky Mountain Timberland

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wy0mn, Apr 8, 2005.

1. wy0mn

wy0mn Transplanted RedNeck

Anyone ever buy from these folks?
    Good?
    Bad?
    Ugly?

Thanks,
    Lex

2. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

I did, about 16 years ago. They were ok. I bought in Montana. The only thing that wasn't all that great was that you didn't get mineral rights with the properties that they were selling in Montana at that time.

hollym

3. wy0mn

Same with the property I've looked at. Plus, now, you have covenants. This is something I have no experience with. I really dislike leaving anyone with a grip on property I supposedly own.
    But I have met with them in the past, and probably shall end up buying...

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..............Lex , please keep Us\Me informed as you progress thru your acquisition of property . I'll be very interested to see how smoothly your journey transpires . I've been interested in that same general area (Montana\Wyoming\Idaho) for a while now but it is just taking alot longer to disengage myself than I previously had imagined . I will be most interested in your search for property and the amount of help you receive from whatever realestate firm you do business with , thanks , fordy.. :)

5. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I looked at some land offered by them, there is an office in Deer Lodge. the folks seem nice enough. Most land you buy in montana does not come with mineral rights, this was a mining state and mineral rights are mostly owned by huge mega corporations. There was just a deal in the Kalispell, Missoula area where some company wanted to sell the land owners their mineral rights for 500 per acre, but was willing to sell these same rights to some other big company for 5 bucks an acre! You do now have to watch out for land with convenents. Just like in other states montana is slowly figuring out that country club lands sell to the californians better than remote land with no covenents and no utilities! there is still some land available up here in the mountains where i live and we have no covenents, no utilities (solar) and roads that often close in the winter (snowmobile to car) it is a wonderful place!

6. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

I remember looking into some of their properties before we bought our Montana property but I seem to remember that they kept timber rights. (this was 15 yrs ago and I'm not 100% sure but I think this was why we chose not to go with them.) Someone please correct me if I'm wrong~
    Steph

7. wy0mn

Fordy.
    Will do.
    Wifey & I met with Wayne Joyner in Medicine Bow prior to 9/11. He appeared to be honest & a straight shooter. 9/11 set us back, we're waiting on our house to sell before we can relocate.
    We've been offered employment in Casper & Laramie. Long commutes.
    Karen & I walked across some of their properties during the summer. Extremely hot, extremely dry, no trees for MILES. Local standing water was alkalai (sp?), but irrigated fields were marvelous.
    Second most continuous windy spot in the continental US, average velocity Sep-May is 30mph. Over 250 solar days per year.
    Aquafer map from the U of W, State Geo Survey, Dept of Env Quality, Wy state Engineers Office with the EPA show the water table to be less than 100 ft down.
    Anyone thinking of this area should be aware that their properties are seriously remote. Averaging 5 1/2 to 7 miles from the nearest grid.
    There is a great "read" of the area at medicinebow.org in the relocation page.
    Karen has allergies from heck. The entire time we were there, not a sniffle nor a sneeze.
    Have you ever been on the one spot of the entire earth where you felt you belonged? I have.

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

We've had a possitive experience so far with RockyMt.

We've bought land from them, smooth transaction even though we were over seas and I had to use my POA since my husband wasn't available when the paper work got to us.

We have mineral rights but there are some minor covenants that were/aren't an issue for us to be bothered by. The land is "barren", but coming from WY we expected that and again it doesn't bother us. We have gravel road access to our property and power accesibility is coming soon or already up, haven't checked in a bit.

Personally we LOVE WY, lived in Casper prior military and desperatly miss it.

9. wy0mn

Thanks Reese,
    sounds like your the one Fordy should be speaking to.
    The one thing that impressed me most is that the agent, Dean Petty, said that I can buy my parcel contingent upon drilling a potable well.
    In simple terms. If I can't pump drinkable water, they will let me swap for an equal value parcel that does have drinkable water.
    How much better can it get?
    I've never considered property to be an anchor before, always an investment. Unfortunately this county in TN is dying. Not gracefully either. Jobs are leaving by the herd. I've taken substandard employment just to have an income/insurance.
    So now I am held here until I can sell out, my home is the lowest priced one (as of yesterday) with the local Coldwell-Bankers & Realtors. But with half the county unemployed...
    If any of you snowbirds are retired/disabled (fixed/secure income) and wanna move south...

10. HopiBuddha

HopiBuddha New Member

Wy0mn - Where at in Tennessee are you?

Thanks!
    Darrell

11. sisterpine

If this is the same Rocky Mountain Timberlands that have an office in Deer Lodge Montana they are decent folk. Dont know them at all well...but looked at some land they were offering during the past 10 years and they were pretty up front about disclosure etc. Most of the land in southwest montana has has the mineral rights sold and no one really know who too! In the past when the big copper pit in Butte was being worked the big companys at that time in the copper business purchased the mineral rights to millions of acres. I believe these rights have changed hands a dozen or so times and now 50 years later folks are at a loss. We just know our title cannot guarantee mineral rights cause they could not find who owned them.

12. sisterpine

PS the land we bought in montana is "remote" ie. no services at all and we love it! no covenents either.