Rocky Arkansas Ozarks ground

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by homebody, Apr 19, 2005.

1. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

Is it best to try and get the rocks out or just have raised beds? There is several rock fences on the property, was told that it was to fence amimals many years ago. I would guess that the areas around these fences should be fairly rock-free. Wasn't but approx. 3 feet tall. Anyone ever see these? Or maybe they were for some other reason. Anyone know?

2. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I have very rocky ground. I don't have the money for raised beds over a 50 x 55 area.

Rocks aren't that bad, really. I grew good corn, squash, tomatoes, ect. last year in rocky soil (I didn't remove any rocks in some areas). I mean, the grass and wild plants can grow in it, so I figured why not other things? They just make working the ground a pain, so you might just go a no-till route.

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Hey once you get past the rocks got pretty good soil :haha: Worked my Garden up in the best place I could find,got the big rocks out of the way,smaller ones if I feel like it I'll pitch them out of the way.

Pick best I can,put all the Organic matter on I can.One thing I've found with my soil it dries out fast,in some ways is a good thing.

big rockpile

4. tikaani

tikaani Well-Known Member

I have nothing but rocks and only inches under the soil. After figuring the cost of raised beds I decided to go with five gallon buckets.

5. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

You can try to get rid of the bigger, close-to-the surface rocks, but here in SW MO they just keep coming up from the depths. And judging from the rock piles, rock fences (like you describe), and rock buildings here, it is a never ending task picking them up.

We didn't go with raised beds, but brought in a load of top soil and put in on top of our garden area and got about 5" of additional soil that way. I hadn't thought of a no-till garden -- sounds like a great idea.

6. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

We finally went to raised beds here in so.central MO....after 18 years of fighting the rocks we give up! Sure, the garden always grew well but for every 4-5 feet of garden row we can still get a bucket of rocks! Put 2' of rocks a foot deep around a 24' pool one year...guess that was economical! It is such a pleasure to just plant and be able to dig a hole for my lilies with my hands! Not that expensive a project either with reject lumber. Spent $110 on two dump trucks of rotted sawdust and then hauled and hauled compost from way down in the old cow stall. So far everything is blasting out of the beds. We could probably build a village from just our garden spot...and it was the original spot on this old homestead so you gotta know they picked their share of rocks,too ! DEE

7. homebody

homebody Well-Known Member

Since the land is between 3 mountains. Trying to think of what constructive use all these rocks could be used for. May build base and foundation walls, (mixed with concrete) for a dig-proof chicken-house. Any other ideas? :)