Rock Harvesting

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by headintodawoods, Dec 7, 2004.

1. headintodawoods

headintodawoods Well-Known Member

Does anyone have experience with having rock harvested on their property? I have 7 acres with a lot of rock. I mean HUGE rock formations, bluffs small and med sized boulders etc... I would like have some of it removed and have heard that a good some of money can be made by having a company come in and harvest it. However I have also heard that they really tear things up when they harvest. Is this true?

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck

2. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like you are basically doing a mining operation there, what will be left? you sell them the rocks, but if you have _that_ much rock, what will you be left with? A lower property with still a rock base?

I wonder how many thousand ton of rock I have picked up on my 200 acres over the years? Oy. Farming what the glaciers scrapped off of Canada....

--->Paul

3. headintodawoods

headintodawoods Well-Known Member

Rambler,

I just want to move some of the rock around the cabin area. It would help clear out some building area for the chicken coop and smoke house I am planning on building. It the income would also go to pay down or off the property.

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

I would make garden borders, rock walls, outdoor fire pit with chimney, gate posts. In Ireland all the fences are out of rock and laid without morter. So lay out raised bed borders and fill with compost because it sounds like you will have more rock than dirt to farm with. Now you know how Fred Flintstone felt!

5. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Pleeeeeeease do post if you find a legitimate buyer for your rocks :) If rocks were legal tender I'ld be the richest person on the planet :D