rock floor in solaruim

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sue currin, Dec 19, 2006.

1. sue currin

sue currin Well-Known Member

I got my solaruim closed in, and sand on the ground. I want to put rock down that I have been picking up from everywhere that has some flat rocks. I want to know how to make a Tamp for the rough sand, Then put the rocks down. Or do I need to do this differently? Kind of stuck. Note I don't have a welder to make the tamp with, so other ideas will be so helpfull. Thanks Sue

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    Sue, get a book on doing rock work from the library. You live in an area where you need a fairly deep layer of sand to be certain you don't wind up with frost problems warping the paver-work.

3. ace admirer

ace admirer Well-Known Member Supporter

hi there
    how about chainsawing a 4 foot section of tree trunk. use the chain saw to rip down to form a handle with the bottom the full diameter of the tree. what you gonna do? set the rock then sweep sand into the spaces between the set rock? for some reason whenever i hear solaruim, i think of a place for crazy people....i guess its just me.

4. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

You can get a tamp cheap at Lowes or Agri Supply. You have to provide the handle. Much easier than trying to build one without metal working equipment.

5. sue currin

Yes I am going to sweep the sand in on the rocks, And Maine does not have a Lowes, or agri supply. Maybe there is one at home depote.

6. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Sue---you can rent a "compactor" machine at rental place....we used one before putting the slab in our sunroom...

I'm gonna call the butcher and see if smoking is done ....I'll PM you later :)

7. sue currin

Thanks for the idea. We do have a rental place here. How did it work out for you? Never even seen one. Sue. The pork is great.

8. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

If you experience frost heaving problems in your solarium, then you have some serious design problems.

I have put in several flagstone floors and sidewalks around my place. It freezes outside every winter down to to 8-12" and I have not had any heaving problems.

Start with a flat dirt surface. Put some pea grave or sand (I have used both with equal results) that is 2 - 3" thick and dampen well. Work the stone into this material until your final surface is as flat as desired. Fill the cracks with with sand and sweep in. Wet down with a hose a few times, refilling the cracks as necessary. I have cracks that vary between 1/2 inch and 2 inches and have never tamped.

9. rafter

rafter Well-Known Member

I did it years ago. Laid flagstone on small chat rock. Just fitted them and leveled them as I went. You could hose off the rock and the water would just go down into the chat. Worked great with no problems.

10. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

Sue, I'm doing the same thing in my greenhouse. Make sure that your substrate (chat rock)is level then put in a layer of sand. If your rocks are of varying thickness use the sand to make each one level. If it wobbles lift the stone, trowel in some sand and get it settled. Use a rubber mallet to help tamp down the stone. Once you've got all the stone in place work some sand in between the cracks....then plant some creeping thyme or Irish moss (that's what I'm going to do!). It's a lot easier than you think just get some help for the larger stones and/or use a dolly. It's amazing how that kind of work can hurt you! Be smart and do a bit at a time.

11. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Take an empty paint can and make a handle for the tamp. Place the handle in the paint can and fill the can with sacrete and let it cure. :)