Rock Concerts & Aging Boomers

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Peacock, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

There's a certain band that DH and I like that will soon be coming to town on tour. This band is still extremely popular today among much younger folks than we are! About a month after DH and I met and started dating, he had tickets to this band's show and invited me...and I turned him down. I had just started a new job and the show was on a work night, and I was trying to be responsible, and he's never let me live it down. :)

So...the concert's in January and I thought it might be sweet to give him tickets for Christmas. We haven't been to a rock concert in a very long time! They went on sale today and $60 each is a pinch, but not outrageous.

BUT that happens to be the same day as DD's gymnastics home meet. I have no idea what time she'll be competing - they never tell us till 2-3 weeks before. Not only will she be competing, I'll also have to work at concessions or something, which wipes out a great deal of the day. If she's in 3rd session we might not get out of there till 10 pm. Since it's our home meet, I can't blow it off, can't ask someone else to watch her and take her home.

Darn responsibilities! It's just no fun growing up.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm 50 and the last rock concert I went to was a bit much. The crowd was too rowdy for my taste, but I still LOVE the music! :)

3. culpeper

culpeper Well-Known Member

My son rang me recently asking if I'd like to accompany him to a concert in a couple of months. At $150 a ticket, I cringed, but without too much arm-twisting, I said 'OK!' And did a little dance around the room.

It's a band we both like, and it's happening in our birthday month, so it should be a fabulous birthday gift to each other! He and I once travelled for 3 hours to see the same band - interstate. 3 hours of concert, 3 hours driving back home again - and we had an absolute ball! It took about a week to recover, though!

I have no idea what I'd do if I had to consider another child's special occasion. I think probably I'd start off by having a good howl!

4. Tonya

Tonya Guest

Tell Bono or Mick HEY for us!!!

5. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Just curious how come you didnt mention the name of the band you wanna see?? Hopefully the last poster isnt right, I like some stones tunes but they way overhyped imho,as for U2 the freakin radio station has ruined them for me totally they play U2 like every freakin set they play. Rock on!!! Have fun and enjoy yourself :)

Peace

6. motivated

motivated Well-Known Member

Hubby loves concerts so we have been to several over the summer/fall. The best was Rodger Waters at the Hollywood Bowl. It really was a fantastic show :)
    motivated

7. LvDemWings

LvDemWings Well-Known Member

I say talk to your DD and if she won't have hurt feelings with you not being at her meet then make arangements for her to get home or spend the night with someone else and go to that concert with your DH.

Who cares the age of the audience. If you like the music then go. Your only as old as you admit to.

8. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

LOL, no, actually it's the Red Hot Chili Peppers!

The concert he attended without me was in 1990. :Bawling:

9. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    wicked they rock :)

Peace and Party (in honour of Red Hot Chili Peppers lol)

10. Tonya

Tonya Guest

I partied once with Anthony Kedis after one of their concerts near Chicago. His cousin was a friend of a friend. I could play with his hair for hours.....of course I was on trendy chemicals at the time.....

THEY WILL NEVER BE OLD TO ME!!!!

11. cheapskate

cheapskate Cheap but not free

I would go to the concert. While our children's lives are important, so are my wife's and mine. Missing the chance to go to the concert would be shortchanging yourself.

My wife and I had a similar circumstance. We chose the concert and didn't regret it. Aerosmith was awesome that night.

12. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

Red Hot Chili Peppers? Aren't they a new band?

Shows you how old I am. If they were't together in the 60's or 70's, they're definitely NOT old.

13. moongirl

moongirl Well-Known Member

Go for the Show!! It's always good to have a "date" night as our kids call it. Just saw Eric Clapton last month. Great show--front row tickets!!

14. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I suddenly feel a little younger!

15. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

You and me both! Honestly, go to the concert with DH, it will make for some great memories. Plus, there is history behing the concert for the two of you. DD can spend the night with a friend.

Nikki

16. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

If I had the chance, I'd go see Bono before Mick, sorry to disappoint, but LET the radio's play them every set. They are much better than a lot of this modern CRAP! I will say that the chili peppers have managed to find their niche, and are doing quite well. I'm proud of them.
    Michelle

17. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I hope it works out an you will get to go.I have never been to a concert!If Trans Siberian is ever in this area again I plan on seeing them with or without DH.