Roaster ovens/slow cookers

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Christina, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Christina

Christina Well-Known Member

I posted this in Cooking and Crafts but got no responses - perhaps someone here who doesn't frequent that forum can help me.

I've been looking for a new crockpot/slow cooker on the internet. I came across this "roaster oven" by Nesco, which acts as an oven OR a slow cooker. Does anybody here use this item? If so, does the oven setting really give an "oven" effect (browning, etc). And does the slow cooker setting work as well as a regular slow cooker? Thanks.

2. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

I don't know about the Nesco brand. Mine is GE, hubby bought that one instead. I roasts turkey breasts fine. I thought it was great. Surprised me how fast it cooked and that was on slow cooking. It was done in five hours. The booklet that came with it didn't give many recipes.

I'm thinking of using it for water bath canning. I prefer pints because there's just the two of us and it is deep enough for that with enough depth for the water.

3. lacyj

lacyj Well-Known Member

4. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I bought my ma one of those.. its massive. she cooks everything in there... roasts whole turkeys, bakes PIES... cake, whatever. yes they do brown lie and stuff like that realy well. she used to bake bread in it before she got a bereadmachine. Mostly now she uses it for roasts and cooking applebutter. they are GREAT for cooking down applebutter and tomato sauce!
    get one youll like it. get a big one, or youll probably kick yourself later for needing more room.

5. Mark in N.C. Florida

Mark in N.C. Florida Member

At the Eagle's Club (F.O.E) where I am a member we have several of the large roasters that they use to do roast in, and they work good. I have personaly have not used them myself but I have eaten plenty of food from them and its GREAT!

6. lexi green

lexi green Member

hi, walmart has a big roaster, don't know how it works but looks just like the one you were talking about. I have a used rival slow cooker for sale if you are interested.It is 8.00 plus shipping. Let me know. Lexi

7. Gimpy_Magoo

Gimpy_Magoo Well-Known Member

Wife just baught me one at BIG LOTS for 34.95.
    removable pot and it's HUGE...

course I cant use it cause it's wrapped and under the tree :(

Gimpy

8. HoosierDeb

HoosierDeb Well-Known Member

The oven thermostat in my stove doesn't work and it's either on full blast or off and its hard to do things that take an even temperature, so I bought the one from Wal-Mart a while back.. I've done everything in it. Roasts, cake, even cookies and biscuits. It came with a removeable liner and a rack. When I do something like cookies I put them on a cookie sheet and on the rack so the cookie sheed doesn't rest on the bottom of the roaster. I was afraid the bottoms would get too dark the other way. The temperature is pretty accurate. I checked it with an oven thermometer. I like it, and its great for summer when you don't want to heat the whole kitchen up. I haven't tried to use it as a slow cooker. Its pretty big for that. I even did Chex Party mix in it... its great for big batches of things. When I did a roast I put the roast in a cooking bag in a glass baking dish because it was small but we did a big pork loin in one at my brother's one time by just putting it in the roaster. Worked great. The removeable liner is a real must-have. The one at my brother's was older and didn't have one and it was a pain to wash. Cleanup is pretty easy with mine.
    I think you can get an additional liner that has three different compartments for the one at Wal-Mart to, so you could do three different dishes all at once.
    DebF

9. stumpyacres

stumpyacres Well-Known Member

I saw it at walmart - I want one! I also saw the new microwaves that are toaster ovens too - anyone use that gadget?