Roasted Fatted Calf

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by BillHoo, Sep 21, 2005.

1. BillHoo

BillHoo Well-Known Member

I'd like to roast a fatted calf on a spit sometime this spring. Looking for recipe - spices, cooking methods and instructions, and/or side dish recommendations.

If I don't get a good response, I might have to settle for a roasted kid goat, or pig.

2. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Steak is always a good option, just cook it like you usually would.

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'd repeat this question over on the cooking forum. I haven't done one, but you made my mouth water. Hopefully, you'll get an answer over there!
    Meg

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

To roast a fatted calf sounds like a better idea than it would be from a practical point. Currently a calf of size will sell on the hoof for not less than $1.25 per lb. By the time you have the meat rendered with the associated losses you would have not less than $3 per lb with the bone in. Cooking losses will farther increase the price in the edible meat. Now for the disappointment. IMO, a calf of this age would not be as flavorful as an older animal and you will have to use plenty of sauce and seasoning. On the other hand, you could buy brisket(s) and have a major roast with full enjoyment. If you are intent on having a whole animal to roast get a pig. Enjoy

5. BillHoo

BillHoo Well-Known Member

Thanks! Pig or kid goat seems to be the direction I'm going. Now I have to find a spit or some place to rent one!

6. Ky gal

Ky gal Well-Known Member

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/foods/458-001/458-001.pdf

I went to a party once where a pig was roasted in an underground pit. We partied for a few hours until the feast was ready. Our tongues were hanging by then from the wonderful smells comming from the pit.

I hope the link above works. It gives various methods of cooking pigs.

7. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

We butchered a calf at 6 months aboout #450 live wt. We got 160# of boneless meat without being picky....ribcage went to the birds....

Now the meat is not as tasty as mature beef, but we cook steaks in marinade such as A-1 Chicago. Cooked slowly....very tasty. The roasts are very lean and not as robust as mature beef but when cooked in beefstew or boiled dinner I add a can of stewed tomatoes and the meat falls apart....

My final total cost for the calf, feed was about $250.....we gave him alot of surplus goat milk....the meat is not certified organic but all natural and better for the family than store stuff.

There is an inground method for pig, calf, goat....whereby you dig a pit make a fire let it burn to coals.....place a piece of tin down, wrap animal in foil with spices and vegies (onion, apple, garlic) place on top of tin, cover with another tin coals and dirt...leave overnight to cook......there is also this method
    http://generalhorticulture.tamu.edu/prof/Recipes/Cochon/cochon.html
    and
    http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/troy.htm