Roaming Dogs

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by merlin, Aug 16, 2004.

1. merlin

merlin Guest

Hi Everyone,

I have a neighbor who allows his two nuisance dogs to roam, terrorize deer, kill chickens, and bark all night. The guy's a total jerk about everything else, so I haven't even bothered to approach him on this subject. He's also quite "over the edge" due to his drug choices. There are no ordinances in this area, nor do I want to draw his attention to this and eliminate the element of suprise.
    I want to trap his dogs and either move them to a shelter or shoot them on the spot - depending on the degree of their volitility. Since the jerk only lives a few acres away, I'm concerned
    he'll hear the dogs yelping when they get caught in the trap. He'll be even more suspicious if he hears their yelping shut up by a gun. I've considered lacing the bait with poison to shut the dogs up right away, but I don't want to indiscrimately kill other animals. I'm also concerned about the possiblility of inadvertantly attracting coyotes and other nuisance dogs to my property by laying out bait.
    Any suggestions? How do domestic dogs usually react when caught in a trap? Are they usually vocal?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

2. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Loose dogs are wild dogs. People who have dogs also have a responsibility to keep them out of trouble. If they wander on to your property, shoot them. Quite frankly, guys like your neighbor probably won't care. If he does, tough.

If you want to try another approach, you might want to contact the pound and have them come collect the dogs. I doubt the loser would pay to have them released. If he does, call the pound again. Eventually, he will not pay and the dogs will be history.

Not trying to be cruel here. Quite frankly dogs with owners like that are better off dead.

Michael

3. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

With my sheep on my property either a roaming dog is killed by one of my anatolians or with a 22 magnum round to its head. I don't much care which.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I'm with YuccaFlats here. Any dogs bothering my sheep and goats is shot and buried deep.

5. bare

bare Head Muderator

Pound? Torch, you must live next to civilization. I imagine most rural areas are like my own, no pounds or public animal control whatsoever.

I used to take critters into town and check them in at the city facility, such as it is. Now, they charge anyone checking a critter in 60.00. Last time the gal told me that, I stared in shock, turned around, went out to the truck and wouldn't you know it, both dogs made a break for it right there in the sheriff's parking lot.

6. I don't know what the laws are there, but here in Ontario, it is illegal to let dogs chase wildlife. I would check into that and see if maybe the natural resources officer in your area has something to say about this.

7. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

If you live in Tennessee or Alabama, shooting a roaming dog is now a felony unless its attacking. Be sure to research the laws of your area first.

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

In Vermont I am legally able to shoot a dog "harrassing or attacking my livestock." Mind you, I don't believe I'm allowed to shoot a dog harrassing or attacking ME! I am also entitled to 6 times the value of a sheep if a dog damages it, old law left over from the late 1800's. It would certainly be more profitable if I set my sheep out as decoys and allowed dogs to get them... :rolleyes:

However, I'm into the passive aggressive thing. So we use hiddden electric wires with 6000 volts running through them, or burried barbed wire (around chicken pens).

A thought on shooting those dogs though... simply because the guy lets his dogs run does not mean he doesn't "care" about them. You're making an assumption about the depth of his feelings that could prove most difficult later on. Before I shot or trapped those dogs outright I'd make a habit of putting a shot or two into the air whenever I spotted them on the property. It may be sufficient deterrent so they back off and find somewhere else to roam. If it is not sufficient deterrent, and you are a damn good shot and can do a clean kill, you'll have accustomed your neighbor to the sound of random gunfire. If you take the dogs down, bury them deep, and keep quiet, he may never put one and one together. The dogs simply ran away.

However, within a week, he'll have another set of dogs.

Which is why I prefer the electric wire routine. Baited if necessary.

9. I am up to my ears in tomatoes thanks to marauding dogs. They make for wonderful compost.

mc

10. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Why do people who live in the country believe that they have the "right" to allow their dogs to roam unattended?

S S S, that's my advice.

11. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Shoot, shovel and silence? If that is the code, then I agree.

12. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

I agree shoot, shove and shutup. If you have a 22 rifle that shoots 22shorts you can harldy hear the gun go off. The key is bait them with some food, get close enough to take a good shot. I have the same problem with my neighbors and have always found the food trick to work, I usually put it out where I can sneak up undetected.

13. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

BOY I wish someone could answer this question! Why do people who move here from suburbia, where they would never have allowed their dog to run the neighborhood, think it is now OK to let their dog run? In some of these rural neighborhoods the dogs pack up and they are frankly dangerous. Nice little pets by night... roaming felons by day. I can't imagine why these people think it is ok to leave their dogs out, unattended, for 9 hours a day while they're off at work.

Then, when the dog bolts in a thunderstorm, they're frantic about their "lost pet." Or when they find the dog dead by the side of the road, or in a field, they freak out and start screaming about the violent locals who run over or shoot innocent pets for amusement. Innocent my Aunt Fanny. The dog has been running cars with the pack for weeks, or chasing deer, or getting at someone's stock.

One of the great mysteries of life... along with that curious way they have of walking right past No Trespassing signs and then being truly amazed that you're throwing them off your property...

T

14. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I agree with the idea of a .22 rifle that uses shorts.

Or, you could buy a good crossbow and become proficient with it.

15. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

I agree with SSS...IF you ar sure it is the same dog doing it. We have three dogs and keep them penned up. We are too close to major roads and most importantly they are big dogs and a lot of people are scard of them...even from behind the fence. So here is my story. Occassionally the dogs get out. One of the kids goes in through the fence gate instead of the deck and doesn't get it shut in time, and there is a dog out. There are two small ponds right next to us and the dogs love toswim. The ponds are owned by a company that more than likely will never do anything with them. The dogs swima nd circle around back to the house. They've never fought with any other dogs while doing this and I'm the only one with any livestock around here. The last time they got out someone shot one of them. Not a killing shot just a crippling shot. This makes me mad! They didn't even shoot the one who is the biggest and most see as the one to be scared of...they shot a golden retriever! Just for meanness. So now I have a crippled dog. these dogs do not run free and everyone knows who they belong too. we're a small "neighborhood". The people up the road have about 20 chiuahas (sp) and I have run them off from my chickens several times. I did tell them last time that I would turn my male out if they didn't keep them put up. I have no intention of getting bitten by one of those little dogs. And the neighbors have kept them up since then. If my golden had been bothering something I would much rather have gotten a call than to have had her shot like she was.

16. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

Stonerebel. I assume you are talking about your neighbor's dogs and not your neighbor???? :) How do you bait a neighbor? A 6-pack? :)

17. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

I say triple S.

I've explained to my wife about our Husky Taz and that if he ever runs and gets shot that she shouldn't blame that person. If someones dog was worrying our animals I'd do the same.

Ginnie5, I understand you being upset but once you allow your dog to run on other peoples property you are doing so with the understanding that there are consequences (which are unfortuantely to the dog and not the owner). It really is that simple.

Mike

18. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

CC- Rider my neighbors look like a scene out of deliverance. I could use beer, food or best of all a virgin sheep.

19. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Ginny5, I understand your upset. And yes, dogs do get out, I know mine escape from time to time. I also know the consequences if they bother other folk's animals. I'm not indescriminate about this, dogs who aren't causing any problems at all I just **** off, and they normally leave. Dogs that are actively interested in my stock and trying to get at them are the ones that get shot. I'm not willing to risk having my animals hurt so that someone's precious dog can go home unscathed.

You say they shot your dog just for meanness, how do you know that? How can you be sure that dog wasn't harassing someone's chickens? Or even someone's cat?

20. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

Merlin, are your neighbors dogs males?

If so it sometimes cures the dog/s by taking a peices of wood that another male has peed on then putting a piece of small holed chicken wire around it (kinda so the wire looks like a pipe) then hook up the chicken wire to a fence charger (preferably a continuance charge, not pulse). The dog gets the shock of it life and normally decides not to come back again.

Mrs Whodunit