Roadside Stand Ideas.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Puddleduck, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Well-Known Member

I would like to set up a roadside stand.
    There a quite a few here and there and it seems people are making a good extra income from them. Most of these stands sell flowers by the bunch for 3.00 and eggs for 2.50 a dozen. I have seen soaps and produce for sale as well.

I have blackberry's lining my home and many apple trees in my yard, so maybe I could make pies or jelly from that. Otherwise I'm looking for a unique idea. Something different. Any suggestions?

2. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

Holy cow, eggs for $2.50 a dozen?!?!

Maybe if I tell hubby that, he won't be so opposed to me buying chickens!

:eek:

You might be able to sell just your fruits as-is, if they are attractively packaged. I know people will pay for blackberries because of the hassle of picking them.

It's all in the marketing, packaging, and of course, location. If your apples are REALLY sweet, let people know about it. BIG blackberries. The jam and jelly ideas are good too, but you have to factor in the time spent, jars, etc.

I'm just talking, I have no personal experience at this.

<---- still stunned by EGGS AT $2.50 A DOZEN

3. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

And a little chicken said "cheap, cheap"
    Eggs are 3.00 a dozen over here where I am.

(but I get mine for free after I raid the chicken coop.)

4. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I will gladly pay $2.50/dozen for GOOD eggs. I'm talking eggs like the ones I get from my egg lady in Ferryville: sturdy shells, deep golden yolks, and I KNOW the birds are treated very well. I KNOW those eggs are good for me. :)

OTOH, I just got ripped off at the local Dominick's food store. They had what they advertised as "cage free" eggs. They were just like the regular old factory eggs: thin shells, pale yolks, and they clipped me $3.19/dozen. I was going to take them back, but it wasn't worth the hassle.

Pony! (who is going to Ferryville this weekend to get some real EGGS!!)

5. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

My neighbor sells eggs but only gets $1 a dozen, and they are mostly large eggs here in TX. He sells live New Zeland Rabbits for $5 each and gets $8 for them if they are frozen and ready to cook.I have my own chickens, but just give away eggs to my friends and neighbors.

6. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

If I could do one, I always wanted to do a place called "A Shepherd's Lunch". I would want to make homemade soup of the day with home baked bread and cheese or fruit and sell it as a bag lunch. I know that any place that sells lunch in a rural area is popular with road workers, construction crews, etc. Just need a couple of crock pots, a fruit stand, ice/drink set up, and a few picnic tables. Actual "standing out there" hours would be short and every place that sells food at the lunch hour around here is PACKED. Fruit stand could run all day.

7. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Well-Known Member

Just a note that jelly or any of the above is out if you live in a state like PA and do not have a commercial kitchen. Heck even dried packaged herbs are out.

8. mikell

mikell Well-Known Member

Here in SW Michigan stands are everywhere. The ones I like are on wheels so they can be moved in the off season or moved back at night. Theres a couple though that are alot nicer than the houses in the area. One was in the paper last year and the guy spent over 10k$ on it but he got lots of free advertising so it probably paid for itself.

9. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Last fall we tried a farm stand for the first time. We had large, medium and small pumpkins, corn shocks and straw bales. DH bought the pumpkins at the local produce auction. Corn and straw we raised here. As for pumpkins the large and small sold really well. We had many medium left over and fed those to the chickens all winter! After we had a bunch of big pumpkins stolen we were careful to move them away from the road every night. I don't know if we will do it again. It was fun for the kids, though. This year we might have everything on a flat hay wagon and take it all up to teh farm at night. We also sold eggs, but kept them in the refrigerator at the house.

Good luck!
    ann

10. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

yeah watch your usda and local food laws, they try so hard to protect the consumer from those terrible independant farmers

11. hcheetham

hcheetham Member

Here where I live alot of the roadside stands feature Watkins products. They are well known and people love their products. I can give you more info if you want it.