Roadside Stand Ideas.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Puddleduck, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Well-Known Member

I would like to set up a roadside stand. There a quite a few here and there
    and it seems people are making a good extra income from them.
    Most of these stands sell flowers by the bunch for 3.00 and eggs for 2.50 a dozen. I have seen soaps and produce for sale as well.
    I have blackberry's lining my home and many apple trees in my yard, so maybe I could make pies or jelly from that..

Otherwise I'm looking for a unique idea. Something different. Any suggestions?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Pies and pastry items from the fruits could be sellouts.

I also might think what is something nearby your area, such as a park, lake, fishing or lanmark mountain...whatever.
    If you get into a craft, something like making birdhouses or bird feeders. Make the birdhouses around the theme. For example, a birdhouse that looks like a road stand? That's got ot be pretty unique, and I bet would sell well.

3. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Dog bones.

It will pull customers (on the other end of the leash) right to you.

4. ajaxlucy

ajaxlucy Well-Known Member Supporter

Blackberry jam will sell better if it's seedless.

What about fruit vinegars and vinaigrettes, like currant or blackberry?

5. cabe

cabe Well-Known Member

Sounds really great.I have entertained this idea myself for years. We live right on the way to a nice Gov. Campg.and the little store up ther is very exspensive. I want to carrry fresh corn, tomats,beans, fish- bait, firewood, and the basics, milk, salt,eggs, you know all the things you forget.My regular job keeps me so buisy. Maybe some day when I am close to retiring . I will just sit on that tiny porch store front, whittle, and tell of magical fishing adventure to be found just up the road.When the grandkids come around we will have little glass bottled cokes and watch the city folk drive by and wave. I will call it Loafers Glory, or Country Gent. Now you all have started me dreaming again, THANKS. : :)

6. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

:) We do this at our roadside stand two days a week.Dont try to much untill you have a clientell coming real regular or go slow at first here is what we do and it is is great.We have homemade bread day on Friday every week and home made pie day Saturday everyweek.Average 20 loaves of bread at 3.50 each and 15 pies at 7.00 each real regular all the time vary what kind as what is in season .This way on Friday they get there bread ,corn, green beans ,greens and eggs all at the same time real boost for sales and a drawing card for your stand on Saturday when they may have went to a farmers market instead.We could sell double the bread but not retired and all the time we have.

7. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

If you are selling prepared foods be sure to check what your state requires in terms of licensing. Very small quantites are generally ignored, but if you begin a substantial business (and your state will define that for you), things like dedicated kitchens and ingredient labels become necessary. If it is worthwhile for you just to sell the produce, you might save yourself some headaches. I sell at local markets, in front of my house, and supply a substantial produce/food stand a few miles away where the proprietor got nailed, and then complied. It was worth her while. At the local markets, we are always given a bit of warning when the state inspector is coming through and the pies and breads from non-complient vendors are stashed in vans and pickups. :rolleyes:

If you don't want the health department sniffing around, keep it low key and don't upset competing neighbors/businesses who will call inspectors. Most businesses in my neck of the woods are purely tourist based, and they charge those high prices in their stores because they have no real income from after hunting season (November) through school letting out in May or June.

I don't mean to sound too negative; just make sure your bases are covered and you should have a fun and profitable time.

Good luck--Nax