Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were on our way to,McCall, Idaho today and passed this bed and breakfast.
do you have any fun roadside attractions in your neck of the woods?

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I see stuff like that and am so glad I don't have to paint houses or reroof them anymore. Though, I may end up back in the roofing business here on the farm soon since no one will even come quote them.

Glad you are having a good time sight seeing.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts

View attachment 97459
It's not really in "my neck of the woods" being several hours away, but if you are ever in the UP of Michigan, check out Lakenenland Sculpture Park.

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Aside from being able to travel to Athens, Florence, Rome, Moscow and many others here in Texas, we have lots of weird here. Austin aside, We have Stonehenge II and everyone has heard of the Cadillac Ranch.

My favorite is this one though:

Berclair Mansion (explorevictoriatexas.com)

What the link does not tell you is that the art work and antiques in the house are priceless and likely stolen or killed for. Rumors abound by the locals that have lived there their whole lives. One rumor was the women were all like black widows and slept with men and stole the artwork. This was from the former maid who sat with the last survivor when she had dementia and told a lot of stories to get it off her chest.

One piece of artwork was known to be stolen by Hitler and considered lost in the war. It ended up in this house. It was found in somewhere around 2005 when it was taken over by the county. It was never donated but taxes ate it up and when they found the art in it they then donated it to the local art society. It has whale oil lamps previously owned by Queen Victoria. A bureau owned by Napoleon. Many many other stuff. Probably between 100 and 300 million dollars in art left in this house vacant for 27 years. The sole daughter of all these women went to college and never returned. Not even to see her own mother. Something evil did happen here most likely. The daughter died and said that if anyone wanted the house, they had to burn it down and haul it off. Contents and all. It is a concrete house so it wont burn.

Oh yeah, It is also haunted. They say that's what kept the robbers away.

If you are in the area, it is worth a visit just to see all that stuff. A lot different than the largest beagle though.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,955 Posts
Car-henge in Nebraska was cool. Gave the Cadillac ranch a drive by, past the exit before we knew it was there and not enough time to double back. Can't seem to make it past Osceola Cheese without stopping and shopping......

·
Premium Member
26,628 Posts
Close to me are the Longaberger basket building and the pumpkin water tower in Circleville.

·
newfieannie
9,942 Posts
Aside from being able to travel to Athens, Florence, Rome, Moscow and many others here in Texas, we have lots of weird here. Austin aside, We have Stonehenge II and everyone has heard of the Cadillac Ranch.

My favorite is this one though:

Berclair Mansion (explorevictoriatexas.com)

View attachment 97464

What the link does not tell you is that the art work and antiques in the house are priceless and likely stolen or killed for. Rumors abound by the locals that have lived there their whole lives. One rumor was the women were all like black widows and slept with men and stole the artwork. This was from the former maid who sat with the last survivor when she had dementia and told a lot of stories to get it off her chest.

One piece of artwork was known to be stolen by Hitler and considered lost in the war. It ended up in this house. It was found in somewhere around 2005 when it was taken over by the county. It was never donated but taxes ate it up and when they found the art in it they then donated it to the local art society. It has whale oil lamps previously owned by Queen Victoria. A bureau owned by Napoleon. Many many other stuff. Probably between 100 and 300 million dollars in art left in this house vacant for 27 years. The sole daughter of all these women went to college and never returned. Not even to see her own mother. Something evil did happen here most likely. The daughter died and said that if anyone wanted the house, they had to burn it down and haul it off. Contents and all. It is a concrete house so it wont burn.

Oh yeah, It is also haunted. They say that's what kept the robbers away.

If you are in the area, it is worth a visit just to see all that stuff. A lot different than the largest beagle though.
this one i have read about before on ObseleteOddity. ~Georgia

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
this one i have read about before on ObseleteOddity. ~Georgia
Men were not allowed on the second floor. There was 2 rooms on the first floor that men "callers" were allowed in overnight.

On the tour I could see the men act funny when we got to the second floor. I noticed because the hair on the back of my neck was standing up as I walked up the stairs. I don't believe much on the supernatural but I guess anything is possible. It was a strange tour for me but I did enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

View attachment 97459
Cool! But..... is it dog friendly?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
You don't see that every day
...unless you live right across the street.

Wi Dells has several odd architectural attractions-- replicas of The Trojan Horse, The Coliseum. an upside-down White House et al. coliseum wisconsin dells - Bing images

Wilmington IL has Muffler Man and a few other examples of street art along old Rt 66. Gemini Giant: Space Age Muffler Man, Wilmington, Illinois (roadsideamerica.com)

Joliet Jake and brother Elwood (named for a wide spot in the road 5 miles south of Joliet on Rt 66) dance on the roof of a little ice cream stand in Joliet (also on 66). Joliet, IL - Dancing Blues Brothers (roadsideamerica.com)

Another Muffler Man, dressed to sell hot dogs, stood for many years in Cicero IL (home town of Al Capone). It's since been moved 150 miles south on Rt 66. Hot Dog Muffler Man, Atlanta, Illinois (roadsideamerica.com)

·
newfieannie
9,942 Posts
we have a few things around here. the anchor shaft and the cannon from the mont blanc munitions ship that was blown up in the harbour in 1917. that was blown 2 miles away. i must get a pic. 2000 people died then there's the graveyard for the poor souls from the Titanic. that's a popular one although i was right next door at a friends for a party one weekend and some people did go in but i didn't want to for some reason.

the largest mastadon was dug up just down from my place in the country. that's a tourist attraction now with flintstone stuff etc. i've never seen it though. just the statue towering there as i drive by. up the valley there's lots of things to see. the primitive painter maud lewis house is up there somewhere. peggys cove supposed to be interesting. i was only there once. ~Georgia

·
Registered
33,561 Posts
We used to drive by this one often. Everyone called it the "peach butt"

South Carolina grows more peaches than any other state, including the "peach state"

Reactions: Lisa in WA

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Dang just had a puppy buyer wanting me to deliver a puppy to Idaho from west va. Like 38 hours one-way drive NOT.
BUT love the Dog House!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
20210422_145617.jpg

This is an artesian well in the middle of nowhere
I can take you there
You can't go alone nor could you find it
PM me for details

1 - 20 of 24 Posts