Road, what road???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wyld thang, Dec 14, 2006.

1. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    I live two miles from the pavement up a gravel road. A week ago someone graded the two miles of road. It stayed nice and "flat" for about three days. Today going into town I crossed 4 streams cutting across the road, and a lake from a blocked culvert. We're in for a huge storm tonight, and we've gotten 4" of rain yesterday and today :rolleyes:. Oh yeah and the potholes are back too :p :p :p Needless to say that road ain't flat anymore!!

Just between going down to the pavement to get the kids off the bus and coming back, an oak tree fell across the road. Luckily it was rotten and broke up :). It's dark now when the kids go to school, and twilight when I pick them up. Needless to say when I go to the busstop, I go fully clothed, with boots, a warm coat, a hat, and a windbreaker(should I add GPS, a power bar and a water bottle? I do keep a flashlight in the truck--and a baseball bat:))

2. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

It has Gravel!! WOW! :icecream:

big rockpile

3. wyld thang

wyld thang God Smacked Jesus Freak Supporter

Turtle Island/Yelm, WA "Land of the Dancing Spirit
    Ha, we "call" it a gravel road, but it has gravel, dirt, mud, river rock, brick, slag, whatever is handy to throw in potholes ;)

4. Pouncer

Pouncer Well-Known Member

Clear the block on the culvert or you could end up stranded until someone comes along and does it for you. We don't have real good road maintenance in my general area....flat is a big no no-that dirt road should have a crown on it. This is partly why you have potholes, the water has nowhere to go (in a timely fashion) so it works things loose underneath as the roadbed becomes saturated. Ugh, I feel for you~

5. texican

texican Well-Known Member

Is it a county or private road? Who's responsible for grading? Who graded?

Very very important questions... for you're now living with the 'bad grading'...

I'd find out who graded it, did they pay a contractor, or do it theirselves... was it their road, or a community concern... If you're using it, you've got an interest in it, de facto.

I have in the past, maintained the two miles of gravel road to my house... when commercial interests used it in the past, I gently asked them to help out... Some did, some didn't. If an oilfield company messed it up, and refused to repair it, I'd "FIX IT"... usually after they got a big truck or two "in"... then I'd get a front end loader or backhoe and get medieval and destroy it... they had no recourse but to call in a dozer and a load of gravel to fix my intentional mess. Now, I just have to mention I'm gonna 'fix it' and they beg me to 'hold off' till they can get a contractor down to fix it right!

Sounds like you need a crown to your road... humped in the middle, with good ditches, so the water will run off quickly. Flat roads don't drain, and they quickly disintegrate into mire's...

good luck...

6. Dun Coille

Dun Coille Well-Known Member

A flat quagmire of a private road is where we are right now. We are on a private road and no one living on the road (but us) "can afford to go in" on a contractor out here to work on the road. We can't foot the entire bill to fix the whole road and everybody else has poormeitis so we put up with the one guy at the end who goes and borrows a tractor w/ box blade and drags the road deeper and deeper every time he "fixes" it. At this point, the end of my driveway drops almost 8 inches to the "roadbed." It's a bit rough even with a big vehicle with a 4" lift kit. After checking with the parish, we have discovered that it will take an estimated $20,000-30,000 to bring the road up to parish code to that they would take over maintenance. If the neighbors can't afford to help pay $5000 to bring the road up to driveway standards, I know that the other will never get done. I'm just glad that we don't live at the end of the road at the top of the very slippery clay hill.

Rebecca

7. texican

texican Well-Known Member

The county took over operations on half of my 2 miles of road. The last half belongs to me, and I'd rather live with a substandard road (sorry, don't think about visiting if you have a car, after a rain). I refused to let em make my section a county road, cause if I did, I'd have no say-so over who travelled it. There are enough outlaws and ne'er'do'wells in this world already...I'd rather keep em legally off and away from my place, as long as possible.

8. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

WOW. I feel your pain!

We live 1 mile from the pavement at the end of a private gravel road that is less than 1 year old. This road fronts 10 parcels of 10+ acres, each owned by seperate people. There are only 3 homes on this road and the rest are vacant lots with absentee owners. At the end of our road is 80 acres. The owner of the 80 acres decided to split the property and extended the road.

The runoff from the road extention has erroaded the end of my driveway and we now have a HUGE rut that WE will have to dig out and install a culvert pipe in, just to be able to get out of the driveway.

the owner then proceeded to subdivided 40 acres and build houses. The heavy equipment that traveled up our road in the excavation and construction of these houses tore our road up and collasped the culvert pipe at the end of the road where it meets the pavement causing a huge lake everytime it rains. Our "gravel" road is now a mushy, muddy, pot hole filled mess with no gravel left to speak of.

Even if we try to repair our portion of the road, the rest of it is still an off-roader's dream. It seems unfair that the present and absent land owners are responsible for their portion of the road that someone else tore up. The owner of the divided 80 acres has made no efforts to repair the road that their contractors tore up. The condition of the road has been a real turn off to potential buyers for the new homes they built, even though the road extention has nice new gravel, many realtors/buyers can't get far enough up the road to see the homes.

During our ice/snow storm, I had to take DD down the road to the bus stop on our ATV 4-wheeler because my truck couldn't make it. DH, off-roader that he is, had real difficulty getting home from work each night.

haven't had any trees fall in our path---YET.
    I think I may join in on keeping a survival kit and a sidearm handy everytime I leave for the bus stop.

Hope something can be done about your road soon!

9. Dun Coille

Dun Coille Well-Known Member

Actually, I really would rather not have the parish take over maintenance of the road. Like you, I want to be able to tell people they are trespassing on a private road and that they must leave. However, one of the neighbors at the end of the road has a wheelchair bound child who MUST, by federal law, be picked up and dropped off at his front door by the school bus. (Believe me they made sure we all knew that it was a federal law when we started complaining about the bus tearing up the road.) The weight of the bus on a road bed not designed for traffic of that weight has destroyed the road. That is the only reason we ever even checked into turning the road over to the parish.

Rebecca