Road Trips...what to do when...

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by akhomesteader, Mar 18, 2017.

1. akhomesteader

akhomesteader Well-Known Member

On road trips, sometimes there is no rest area nearby when a bathroom break is needed, especially with children. If you stop at a gas station/convenience store, do you feel obligated to purchase snacks or other things you don't want or need? I try to plan bathroom breaks for when we have to stop anyway for gas, but sometimes, it's just not possible. I always have plenty of food in the truck, but if I'm not buying gasoline, I end up feeling guilty if we use the bathroom without spending money. For a day trip, it's not a big deal, but for a cross-country trip, buying stuff you don't need each time your child has to go to the bathroom can really add up! So, do you make a purchase each time you stop or not?

nehimama likes this.
  2. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

What about highway rest stops. Truck stops have car parking in some. But no i dont buy at each stop.

3. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I never feel guilty about using what I know is likely to be a clean restroom. And I always thank them for having a clean restroom on my way out as well. Some can be pretty skanky...in that case we pull around back and the girls balance on the car door landing while the boys pee on the other side LOL. Been doing this for over 40 years and even did it as a cop in uniform...never been arrested. Though my younger brother was arrested once for peeing in public behind a bar where a lady officer saw him....it was dismissed though.

nehimama likes this.
  4. akhomesteader

Funny! Okay, I won't feel guilty about using a bathroom and not purchasing junk food on the way out the door. That can get expensive! Forcast, we use rest stops when we find them, but in some states, they are few and far between. I don't stop at rest areas at night, or even during the day if there are too few people. They are often too secluded, making them good places for crime. Once when I was driving after dark, I stopped at a rest area that is usually busy during the day, but this evening it was empty. As I was walking out of the bathroom, a car with four young "questionable-looking" men pulled in. I sure felt vulnerable as I met them on the walkway, and was happy to get back to my truck. Never again will I do that.

5. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

We usually go ahead and buy something... helps the business stay, well, in business so that they are there the next time we need them.

Scott SW Ohio, Wanda and Irish Pixie like this.
  6. Ellendra

Ellendra Well-Known Member

I usually buy something small that I know I'll want later, like a bottle of water. Even if I don't drink it on that trip, I will eventually.

cfuhrer likes this.
  7. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Never buy anything from those stores---but gas. When we travel we pack a cooler and have the snacks. We even pack our lunch if its a long trip. You can spend a small fortune eating, snacking at those place and fast food places. I had rather buy $20 worth of food/drinks from the grocery store than to spend $200 eating on the road.

8. akhomesteader

Fire-Man, I agree. It can cost a small fortune grabbing snacks at convenience stores. Most of the time, we take our bathroom breaks when I need to stop for gas, so then I don't buy things, but once in awhile, a break is needed when there's no rest area in sight. I usually have plenty of snacks and food for meals when we travel.

Thanks for the replies!

9. TerriLynn

TerriLynn Well-Known Member

We always keep our eyes open for McDonalds. They usually have clean bathrooms, they are everywhere and you can slip in a side door, use the restroom and slip back out again. I have also noticed that the employees there really don't care if you purchase anything or not.

nobrabbit, akhomesteader and Declan like this.
  10. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

At convenience stores we always buy trident gum or a bottle of water- we call it "paying toll". There are many small businesses that are needing just a little help to cover their daily outlay and there was a case recently in Florida where a business had a sign up- rest rooms for customers only- and a woman ran in, used the rest room and ran out again. The store owner noted the license number and won a court case against the non-customer. Apparently this woman was a repeat violator. I never thought about this when I was younger, tho.

11. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

You always need gas , buy it where you stop.
    If you find the bathroom clean and inviting you can always tip the janitor.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

We usually pull up to a nice hotel. Just walk past the front desk like you have a room there or are visiting someone who is staying there or you are there for a conference. Generally, just past the front desk, there will be a nice, clean restroom.

akhomesteader likes this.
  13. Micheal

Micheal Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm sorta with AmericanStand we pull in and fill up with gas, even it's 5 or so bucks. You can always comment "I thought I needed more, got a broken gas gauge".
    I'm not sure bout ahhh how you'd "top the janitor"? :rolleyes:

14. AmericanStand

AmericanStand Well-Known Member

Aircraft shops sell the "little john "and " lady j adapter"
    You might find them convenient.

15. Micheal

Micheal Well-Known Member Supporter

AmericanStand, glad to see you sorta explained (changed) the "top" to a "tip" makes sense now.... :D