Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I’m going to be driving to Colorado from California.
Mapquest says to take I80 to I15 to I80 to I25.
But when I look at the Road Atlas, Highway 50 to Nevada and half of Utah then 70 to Colorado looks shorter.

Has anyone made this trip? Is Highway 50 and 70 not a good route?

Suggestions welcome please.

Kris

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
As I learned in Pittsburgh during MY summer road trip in JUNE, DON'T TRUST MAPQUEST!
It will route you forty ways to sunday to get you on an Interstate when it would be simpler and faster to take US or State raods.
Can't help you with what the drive would be like, but can advise you that MAPQUEST is a WASTE of time and energy!

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
where in california to where in colorado?

one thing to consider...check on road conditions. google for hwy construction sites. there are a couple of really good ones that the truckers use.

if y ou're talking something like Sacramento to Denver, going the I80 route will be about 3 hours faster (interstate travel at 75mph vs US hwy travel at approx 60mph plus the slow down for towns) but it's about 100 miles further to go I80.

I've been on US 50 through California and Utah, but it was a few years ago. Pretty nice road. lots of cross traffic small roads, tho.

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Just for giggles, try searching a trip from anywhere in North America, to, say - Paris France. You know you're in trouble when you get to the coast, and the directions tell you to jump in and swim for four days!! :shrug:

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
If you are talking about I70 into Co. check with truckers or State police about the steepness of the mountains. I have traveled I80 out of San. Fran. to wy. and dropped down to denver on I think it was I25. It was a nice trip and this was done in a 36 ft motor home with a Dodge Spirit in tow. We were told to avoid I70 as the mountains were very steep. Good luck with your trip. Sam

·
Registered
912 Posts
We just did the trip a few weeks ago. We do it every year so we have done all the routes. Are you starting in Northern CA? I 80 has quite a bit of road construction right now so we believe the route via I50 would be faster. It is certainly more interesting for us. Depending on your interests we keep records on the past dozen trips so we kinda know the route. Family in the vehicle? How many hours a day do you drive?

The stretch through Northern Nevada and Wyoming is IMO a tough drive with a light vehicle. Trucks at 75, high winds. We drove right through a wildfire that jumped I80 right after we passed it three weeks ago. The heat from the flames could be felt since they hit the side of the road about 50 feet from us. We had hail, thunder and lighting on the way home. I don't want to scare you but the trip can really be an adventure unlike our blasé weather.

Without the road construction I80 is a little faster since I50 is a slower road. We did get a speeding ticket on I50 a couple of years ago and he gave me a ticket that doesn't go on your record.

·
Premium Member
4,507 Posts
Hmmm I dunno about those online map sites, be it mapquest,Google Maps,etc., usually when I try to plot a trip on one of them, they ALWAYS seem to send me up north to Kansas City, and THEN down south... it's as if all roads MUST go thru KC for some odd reason! I took a trip to the Ozarks once,and if I would have followed Mapquest's advice,I would have added an extra hour and a half to my trip! :shrug:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all so much!
Can always count on you all for good input.

I’m leaving from near San Jose, Cali and going to Longmont.
My basic plan is to get behind a trucker to catch the draft and just stay there.
That’s what I do on trips to the central valley here. Those trucker are good folks.
Have a mid size coupe, low to the ground so wind isn’t too much of a problem.
Didn’t think about fires, have to look into that, there’s a lot of them out there right now.

Another thing is I have never seen the Rockies from ground level, only 30,000 feet.
So this will be a true adventure.

Thank you again for all the input.

Kris

·
DW to FordJunkie
325 Posts
KrisW said:
Those trucker are good folks.
I think so too - I married one! :baby04:

KrisW said:
My basic plan is to get behind a trucker to catch the draft and just stay there.
This is not a good idea. I used to do it too, years ago, until I met my DH. He explained to me (and it took a few times to sink in) about what happens when a recap comes off a trailer tire and goes thru the windshield of the vehicle behind. If you are lucky you have a messed up car - if not your dead. 100lbs + coming at you at 70mph is not pretty. Also, if that trucker slams on his brakes can you stop in time if you are that close? I have seen the result of that too. The underside of that trailer is not a good view.

Just something to think about. As I said - I never did until my DH pointed out what I was doing and what could happen. Hope you have a safe and fun trip!

Off the soapbox now :soap:

AngelaW

·
Registered
912 Posts
Are you going to stop at motels or camp? Motels along I80 in Northern Nevada and Wyoming get very full and are 25% more than the ones along I50. Drafting trucks is really stressful and a false economy in my mind. If you are trying to save on fuel the I50 route is shorter and at a lower speed. There are really no trucks to draft but your gas mileage should be better. Off of I70 there is a loop you can take through the Moab area. It is quite spectacular with the red rock canyons.

Depending on when your are going there is the option of taking a route from Longmont though some high points in the Rockies and coming out near Salt Lake City.

·
Tweety
164 Posts
I have driven 50, it is very scenic but not for nothing is it called "the lonliest road in America". If you take it make sure that you have a tankful of gas and don't let it go below half so you won't be driving on fumes like I did. Whatever you do, don't stay in Ruby's Motel in Eureka, Nevada! Ruby is a character and will bend your ear but she isn't much at cleaning her motel units. It was the only motel I have ever stayed at where I didn't want to take my clothes off and go under the covers!
I70 is also very scenic, so it depends on whether you want to see beautiful scenery or not. I'm a sucker for beautiful drives so I always pick the route with the little green dots if I can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts