Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into getting a moped for running back and forth to work. They are very expensive used as compared to dirt bikes that have alot more power in not much bigger package. Is there a way to make these bikes road legal in Ohio? Blinkers, headlights, ect. The only problem I really see is, will the bike over heat while idleing in normal traffic?

Thanks
Bob

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
Do they do emissions testing in Ohio? If so then know as there isn't a baseline for the bike to test to. Also don't forget about the muffler. Most offroad mufflers don't meet the specs fo on the highway.

If your looking at this to cut gas usage, dirt bikes are tuned and built for performance. You won't see much for fuel economy.

Most maufactures built a trail version of there dirt bikes that are street legal. It'd look for one of those instead of trying to convert one.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
many manufacturers make duel-purpose bikes they are street legal with lights and plate mountings etc. the tires are somewhere between the smooth street tires and the ulta knobby off road tires. the tuning is usually a little easier on gas than full off road and less than street bikes.

dean

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
back in the day, my cousins had a 125 or 175 suzuki on-off road bike that went over the trails and down the hiway, and for a bike built in 1974?-6 it had turn indicators on it [so much for being off road eh?]

The problem with scooters is most people buy one that is under powered and there is an idiot out there who will try and hurt you on a bike, ergo it needs power, and the ability to out maneuver that one idiot to keep you from being a statistic..... something to think about. the bike is not capable of over 100mph then one day it could be possible for an idiot to run you down that had a bad hair day..... another reason to carry a sidearm of large calibre while riding.

anyhow there are compromises in all departments, and perhaps as more people ride scooters, there will be less idiots trying to run a scooter down on the road.

Ive thought about getting one again too, but somehow getting all my tools to and from the sawmill just aint gonna happen....

William

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
If the bike has a title, you should be able to get it licensed. Lights, etc., should be readily available, even if not exactly what was used on it when new. If it doesn't have a title (or never did), I would say forget it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Many moons ago they were called "Enduros". That was a dirt bike with lights for street legal operation. At one time I had a BSA 441 Victor. The thing sounded like a dang JohnDeere taking off from a trafic light. But, it would thump thump thump it's way up any hill you could put in front of it.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
woodsrunner said:
Many moons ago they were called "Enduros". That was a dirt bike with lights for street legal operation. At one time I had a BSA 441 Victor. The thing sounded like a dang JohnDeere taking off from a trafic light. But, it would thump thump thump it's way up any hill you could put in front of it.
Aren't they still called that?
I had a 175 Yamaha Enduro, think it was a 1987, all the street stuff, but was a mono shock and had a set able suspension, from about 9" to 17". Got about 70 MPG.
Loved that bike, put about 18000 miles on it, but used up 8 out of my 9 lives, so sold it and bought a 4 wheeler.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts