road conditions I 24 KY.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ed/IL, Dec 23, 2004.

1. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Anyone know how Interstate 24 is east of IL. Is there a lot of snow. Thinking of driving today or tomorrow 57 south to 24 east to 75 south. Looked on internet, not much up to the minute info on sites I found. The little I did find sounds bad. Is it cleaned up yet? Also any good sites with this info. Going to load the truck. Thanks

2. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member Supporter

From what I've seen on the news It's not good.

3. rkintn

rkintn mean people suck

Last I heard on the news out of Paducah, KY was that I24 was closed! Apparently they are having a problem getting the word out and there are miles of stranded motorists! I will watch again this evening and find out exactly where the shut down is started from. Hope this helps.

4. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Thanks for that info. Bad weather will fill up all the hotels and I do not want to sleep in truck stuck in a ditch. I will wait until sunrise to decide if I can leave tomorrow. Might look for an alternate route if it is not cleared up.

5. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

We have two feet of snow in western KY. Police are suppose to start ticketing motorists that are out for none emergency travel through Sun. Unless conditions improve. Here's a link for road conditions.
    http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/

6. LaDonna

LaDonna Well-Known Member

7. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

Thanks again for the update. I'll have to see if i can come up with an alternate route. Time for me to go but it looks like roads will be bad for days.

8. ChristenaTN

ChristenaTN Active Member

Yeah, that is right up here next to me. The poor souls were in a complete standstill for 12 hours according to the news reports and many had ran out of gas and all. They wound up calling in the national guard to see if they could help. I"m assuming something was done to help these folks. We had a bad ice storm and here we see so little the area folks have the worst time dealing with it. Frankly they do'nt know how to handle it in the top ranks there. My hubby and i went to town in the pickup and mus'tve seen a dozen or more off the road and a couple wrecks. We had snow tires with the studs on the truck and loaded the back down with wood so we had no probs. But no one aroudn here knows to even do this as we see so little snow or ice. What I hope they do is run an article instructing eveyrone what to do instead of not to do as they already know what not to do obviously:)

9. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

I am going to wait another day and leave on Christmas. Do not want to spend Christmas day driving but I think I have a better chance driving tomorrow. Less traffic and warmer. Was looking at alternate routes but that would add a couple hundred mile to a long drive.